Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Touchscreen IQ Desktop PC Series
Other

Can someone tell me how to do a factory reset on my computer? I know it is old, but it still works and I would love to use it again. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Lisa881 That's quite a journey, here's what should help get this sorted:

did you make use of the HP Recovery partition (F11) or did you use the HP recovery media? 
If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Lisa881 Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Which OS do you have? 

And why exactly are you reinstalling the OS? 

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows Vista, hope that is right. 5 years ago lightning struck real close to the house. Took the computer out. Thought it fried it. My son said start with the power cord, ( hp all in one touch smart IQ500 desktop). Jump to this past week I decided to try and buy a cord to trouble shoot it. The virtual assistant gave instructions and I’ll be damned it came on. But now, 5 years later after a move, I cannot remember the password we have on it. Looked Everywhere for it written down and we just don’t have it. So, trying to do a factory reset so I can use my very first bad ass computer I ever owned. Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

@Lisa881 That's quite a journey, here's what should help get this sorted:

did you make use of the HP Recovery partition (F11) or did you use the HP recovery media? 
If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.