Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion X2

Hello friends so basically I tried to take my pavilion X2 as a normal pc and inserted my uefi usb with my windows and I tried installing windows mistakenly I "deleted " the boot , recovery and system partition but it stuck like they aren't deleted and the partitions has files into them although when I try to use them I get fatal errors like they don't exist as they don't exist.

So I format my normal partition it's the only one I can format and actually delete it .when the installation finish it says it failed and I should re do it again but that happens every time

Things I've tried

Disabling secure boot

Installing a different version of Windows 10

With enabled secure boot

I have no clue what to do I need assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

My last offering

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

You now have enough info solve your problem.

PWR and LID.png

AND if you shutdown with the Turn On fast Start-Up box ticked, checked, then that is the root cause of your problem.

It sets the partition to suspend and sets the Dirty bit.

Bye.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

Try a recovery OS like...

Windows 10

W8 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.png

or

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-best-rescue-disks-windows-system-restore/

Knoppix

SystemRescueCD

So you tried things, and what state is the PC currently in?

Gparted is a good option. It may be inside Knoppix or make a standalone.

https://gparted.org/

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

So the machine is at the state of opening to  the USB  walkthrough the whole  windows installation only it cannot delete any partition I can format the main partition though  but when I do it fails

I just came home from work, I went to command propt and it appears that all the deleting I did , achieved nothing because when I list disked and looked into the partition all the partitions are at the size of how they were before I "deleted" them
I wonder should I clear all the partitions via command prompt or  somehow recover that,
I'm sorry but the information you gave me was extremely too much to understand

HP Recommended

Hi

You do know that if W10 was not Shutdown PROPERLY the partition is in suspend mode, with the Dirty Bit set.

Effectively making it read only, and a REAL big problem to overcome.

So if you boot aDVD/USB and go into command prompt and try to run chkdsk or whatever it would be a start.

Away from home and on a dog currently, so a full answer will have to wait.

MS do tools that may overcome the problem, else search dirty bit setting on t'internet.

HP Recommended

The problem is that all this didn't happen because of a premature shutdown but I deliberately wanted to format my tablet thinking it would work exactly like a laptop. so I went on about deleting the partitions which I'm honestly confused if I did  or did not achieve. As it seems they have 0 files in them as they don't function, but they do take up space.

Enjoy your walk by the way take your time friend .

I currently try to make a system image from my working desktop in a USB to try and use that to recover it will update you about that when its done.

EDIT: it says the storage is too low to recover  or something along those lines I'm basicly translating it.

HP Recommended

NoMicrosofts preferred setting is

Enable Fast Start Up

So when you shutdown you get a suspend and a dirty bit set.

Like I said research it.

It can sometimes be mounted read only so that data can be copied off.

HP Recommended

Hi

My last offering

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

You now have enough info solve your problem.

PWR and LID.png

AND if you shutdown with the Turn On fast Start-Up box ticked, checked, then that is the root cause of your problem.

It sets the partition to suspend and sets the Dirty bit.

Bye.

HP Recommended

I'll try my best thanks a ton man for your time and your informations farewell.

HP Recommended

Prego.

If in doubt please ask.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.