Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (353 Views)

Maximum micro sd card size I can use in a X2 210 G2 (Windows 10)

Product Name: Detachable PC X2 210 G2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased a new  Detachable PC X2 210 G2 (Windows 10).  I would like to buy a micro sd card to use with it - but I don't want to buy one that's too big and won't work.

Does anyone know the maximum micro sd card size I can use in this device?  

The two HP online chat representatives I spoke with gave me two different answers.  One said 64GB (but wasn't certain) and the other said there is no size limit.

What are your thoughts or experiences? Any help would be much appreciated!

Regents Professor
Message 2 of 8 (328 Views)

Re: Maximum micro sd card size I can use in a X2 210 G2 (Windows 10)

[ Edited ]

Hello Justine16

The X2 210 G2 would be considered a regular PC like a laptop functionality wise, even though it detaches at the base.

Since there is no documentation specifically stating a limitation with Micro SD cards, the laptop will accept what ever cards are currently available.

So the second rep told you correctly, no size limit.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy

Provost
Message 3 of 8 (321 Views)

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in. Please search this forum, people have missing files, files corruptd when using 128GB cards. Very safe to use 64GB cards.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Regents Professor
Message 4 of 8 (320 Views)

So this could be a flaw in the design then?  HP should specify or change the specs if so.

Thanks for pointing that out @banhien.

Top Student
Message 5 of 8 (305 Views)

The technical specifications (http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c05096694&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&sea...) state:

"Micro Secure Digital (SD) Media Reader

Support SD/SDHC/SDXC (Up to 2TB)".

The 2TB limit is currently only theoretical; the largest microSDXC card I've seen is 256GB.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 8 (300 Views)

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Although it seems the question is still open as to what the maximum size card is, I can now be confident the 64GB card will work - my original fear was that the device might be limited to only using 32GB micro sd cards cards. 

Thanks again HP support forum community! 

Regents Professor
Message 7 of 8 (297 Views)

[ Edited ]

Justine,  Banhein pointed out that reports are saying 64 GB cards were working fine. So deduct from that what you will.

Nice find on the specs cbtc. That page did not show available for me when I searched the specs. Manuals

Seems to be a trend lately with HP.

Good luck.

Top Student
Message 8 of 8 (196 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can report that my experience with the Elite X2 slot has been disappointing. While the machine recognized both 64GB and 128GB cards, its ability to write large files to them is very unreliable. I tested the cards using the well-known h2testw tool, which writes 1GB files on the filesystem and then reads them back. I tried two different microsd cards: a Sony 64GB (class 10), and a Sandisk Ultra 128GB. In both cases, the test tool failed with semaphore timeout expired (error 121) while at the 6GB+ mark.

I ensured that I am running the latest Intel SerialIO driver (May-2016) but no luck. It is unfortunate since I was hoping to use the microsd card as secondary storage but with this level of unreliability, I am not sure anymore.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation