cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Missing Power Options on HP Envy Laptop

HP Recommended
Envy 17 xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The power options are missing on my laptop. All I have in Power Options section of control is the "Balanced" option. No "High Performance" option, nor any of the sub options that exist for it on my desktop computer, which has the same version of Windows. I have tried 10 different solutions found on the web, including right clicking the battery icon and changing setting, as well as entering code as admin in the command prompt. Nothing restores the missing power options. I did finally get a second "Balanced" option. Pretty useless. Since my Dell computer is not subject to this problem, I must assume it is HP's responsibility to fix and not Microsoft (Windows). 

Please help. I can't properly install my new recording software unless I can get to some of these missing settings. Specifically:

-High Performance

and under that,

-Turn off hard disk = Never

-USB selective suspend settings = disabled

-Minimum processor state = 100%

Thanks for any help I can get.

dennizen 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
2,853 2,793 374 1,119
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @dennizen,

From what I've researched, this is due to Connected Standby of the device, essentially a new power state of Windows 10 devices that allows them to instantly wake up from sleep.

The following steps will allow you to access all the advanced settings when editing a power plan that are currently unavailable, such as USB Selective Suspend Settings and Minimum processor state, as you mentioned, but the tradeoff seems to be that the device doesn't automatically go to sleep anymore, or at least that is what is indicated in control panel. You could try re-enabling connected standby after making the changes you want but I can't guarantee that the changes will stick.

This involves editing the registry, please be cautious as messing up other settings may cause harm to your system:

1. Search and open Registry Editor
  2. Find and expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power (Double click Power)
  3. Set the CsEnabled parameter to 0 hex (Double-click the word CsEnabled and set the Value data as 0 in the pop-up)
  4. Click OK
  5. Restart your computer
  6. Create a new power plan in Control Panel or edit your Balanced power plan
  7. Select Chance advanced power settings 

You should then have the settings you want.

Kind regards,

Eddy

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

I am currently taking an indefinite break due to other academic and professional priorities. I will be checking the community intermittently.
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation