Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Kiwi Im aware of what you posted. Thank you for that.

I am addressing what the OP has asked. We all have different methods to our madness.

It will be alright. 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks guys.

This is a refurb Stream 8 that I just bought. I had to do a bit of messing around to get it to connect to the network when I got it but when I did the full refresh of 8.1 it asked for my MS account and stuff like that and it connected right away. If I had known about that in the first place it would have been easier than the messing around but I guess that's how we learn stuff...

Other than the win 8.1 install and the apps that came with it the only thing on the tablet is the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant (the installer that I downloaded from the page I linked in the first post).

RE OTG vs regular, my son explained it like this: When you plug a peripheral like a USB drive into a computer the computer is master and the device is slave. If you were to plug a tablet or smart phone directly into another computer they would both want to be master so they developed the micro USB plug to deal with that.

Regular USB plugs have 4 pins and micro USBs have 5. I can't remember the details but ther was something about a resistor between the extra pin and either ground or power and when a device detected the resistor it became the slave.

Now that I think of it it probably doesn't matter whether I use a regular USB adapter or an OTG to connect the USB drive.

Anyway, I have my USB drive prepared and ready to go. The tablet says it only has 12.2 Gb free. It had 17 Gb free right after I refreshed it but I tried to install 10 from the installer. I am inclined to refresh it again before I start. What do you guys think?

Also, do I need to tell 8.1 to do updates before I run the upgrade?

HP Recommended

Most adapters that are micro usb to usb are OTG but wont actually have it written on the adapter.  If your adapter wasn't OTG, then it would only allow charging of the tablet.

IF yours is working for either situation, then its OTG and you are good to go.  🙂

I assume you already have a hub and it will work when plugged into the adapter.

On a side note: If you purchase an adapter like the one that Kiwi linked to, it would not need an OTG adapter as it also has a power adapter hook up that apparently works on Stream tablets simultaneously with peripherals.

To help clear up the 32 vs 64 bit installer advice...

IF you create the media for the USB pen drive using the Media Creation Tool, you  need to make sure its set for 32 bit for your Stream upgrade.

• If you use the tool on the Stream tablet to make the install drive with, it will auto detect what OS bit to use.
  • If you use the tool on a different computer to make the install drive with, its probably 64 bit.  You need to set the tool to 32 bit.

uncheck this box1.jpg

Windows 10 requires some patches for Windows 8.1 to "Upgrade" with. You can let Windows 10 search for updates online during the upgrade process. It will ask you to enter your wifi key at that time.

If you choose to let Windows 10 search for updates later, then you should have Windows 8.1 updated before you begin.

Does that answer the specific questions you had?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks again. My tablet is now running Win10.

Something interesting: I told Win8.1 to re-install, which should have removed everything except what comes with Win8.1 Then I went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (this is not the assistive devices installation page) and followed the instructions there. It did not ask for any information or anything before creating the installation software on the USB drive.

As far as I can tell this installation had nothing to do with assistive devices or anything like that.

HP Recommended

Good to hear its working.

It wont ask about assistive devices as far as I know.

Basically (for the moment and always subject to change) you are on the "honor system" for assistive technologies.

Meaning if you require the use of the Narrator for reading out loud, etc.

HP Recommended

Yeah, but as far as I can tell the installation that worked had nothing to do with assistive technologies...

HP Recommended

Correct, Its just a term, legal jargin (so to speak).

There is no Assistive Technologies version of Windows, nor does it ask you for proof of any disablility.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Right. I understand that. But the free upgrade for everyone with 7 or newer is only supposed to be over. From what I have read the only place to get the free upgrade is through the assistive devices extension but that's not where I ended up getting the upgrade from.

HP Recommended

The Windows 10 assistive Technolgies extension  means MS "extended" the ability to get a free upgrade for those who are of disability. Its also on the honor system at the moment.

But Windows 10 is still windows 10 no matter what link you grab the upgrade from.

Its all just wording.

Anyways, Im not going to worry about it at this point. You are up and running. Any disputes on terminology, you will have to take that up with Microsoft, not HP.

Cheers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.