Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sucks HP has not fixed such a repeatable issue that is probably effecting all HP 608's out in the wild that update firmware. I bought a Surface 3 and that thing works right off the bat with no issue. My second HP 608 is in the process of being returned to provantage even though I did not upgrade firmware and did not have touchscreen issue on the second unit the wifi adapter was horribly problematic. Every different version of drivers for the Wifi adapter in the HP 608 intorduced some new issue preventing it from being stable and reliable.

No one has created a reliable properly working 8 inch Windows tablet in the last year or so. They last batch of properly working ones were the old baytrails with 2Gb ram.  All the new ones suck and all are plagued with major issues.

Since the Surface 3 is cherrytrail and works great what is the excsue? I'd love a new 8 ich windows tablet but had to settle for a 10 inch Surface 3 because I wanted something that actually functioned correctly.

Such a bummer cause on paper the HP 608 had it all. 

HP Recommended

Installed Atmel firmware as well, still get the lag. Nothing has changed.

HP Recommended

There's a new firmware release: 1.10.

One person reports that this firmware does not affect slow touchscreen response.

Anyone else try it?  Notice changes?

HP Recommended

My new tablet came with 1.09 and slow response.  I guess that I need to downgrade to 1.07.  Where can I find it?

The HP firmware page only offers 1.10 (but if you look in there, it gives a link to 1.09).  Is 1.07 still available somewhere?

Added later:

I found 1.07 on the HP site.  I found it through the "revision history" tab.

BTW, to find your current firmware virsion, just run msinfo32.

The fast way to get misinfo32 is to hold the Windows key and type R, then release both and type "msinfo32" and ENTER.  But wait: how do you type Windows-R on the screen keyboard?

How can I find out if I've got the too-new-for-1.07 Atmel firmware?  I don't want to downgrade the UEFI firmware just to have the machine brick due to Atmel firmware.

HP Recommended

1) There is no way to downgrade the firmware without replacing the motherboard according to HP

2) You're already screwed by having 1.09, so 1.10 shouldn't make it worse

Seriously, return the tablet for a refund, and make sure to inform HP that he reasonis the touch scroll lag.

Under Windows 10, the Atmel firmware ends-up as a malfunctioning driver in the Windows device manager. Don't even bother installing it as you will not notice any difference.

HP Recommended

Man I cannot beleive HP has not fixed this yet, Glad I returned both my 608's and got a Surface 3. It's bad enough they have not fixed it what is even worse they keep putting out firmware that causes the touch lag issue.

This issue and the wifi issues completely tank the useability of this tablet, what a complete shame

HP Recommended

I really agree.

I don't understand at all what HP's doing...

Fortunately, I'm still on 1.07 and everything's ok (except active pen).

Just a suggestion: did anyone try to fully discharge the battery after BIOS/firmware upgrade ?

On another pc, I had a problem with a device driver that could not start, after a BIOS flash. This was the only way to solve the problem. I suppose there was a problem of "electrical state" after flashing.

But maybe it's still a wrong idea, in this case...

HP Recommended

After I'd logged a case with HP for my non-functioning tablet right at the start of April, I still hadn't heard back from them so I called them.  I was put through to some guy handling my case who asked curiously that I wanted a refund like it was such a preposterous request.  Anyway, he said he would escalate the matter and I'd get a call within 24 hours.

So, at least you guys have a tablet that powers on correctly.  Mine just has the white LED come on - no screen, no BIOS logo, no nuthin'.

What a joke HP's support and product is.

HP Recommended

I played with the firmware configuration page last night (ESC during booting gets you there).

I ran the firmware touchscreen diagnostic.  No delay in the response to touches.  I don't know why; perhaps the firmware never enters a low power mode.

After booting Windows I tried running a CPU eating program (my first powershell program: for(;1; ) {}) and found that the touchscreen response was still slow.  So it doesn't seem to be a CPU sleep-mode issue.  Maybe there is a separate sleep mode for peripherals like the touchscreen digitizer.

HP Recommended

I've noticed that as well, that the screen works correctly in BIOS. Lead me to initially believe the issue was related to drivers. It's the 1.08 and later BIOS versions that induce the screen lag, however, having witnessed this myself three times with three different 608s. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.