3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement battery life

HP Elite x2 1012 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I'd appreciate some advice about replacement batteries.

My HP Elite x2 1012 G2 has a three year extended warranty expiring in September 2020 and this covers the battery.  

The advertised battery life for this device is up to 10 hours (depending on usage) and I found this to be accurate when I first purchased the machine.  As expected, after the first year or so, the battery life dropped to about 5 hours and on request HP duly replaced it with a fresh one. The new battery also also gave me the advertised 10 hours.  As before, after about a year, this second battery deteriorated to around 4 hours from fully charged and HP have again replaced it.

However, this "new" battery is only giving me about 5 hours from 100% charge to completely flat. I should be getting the full 10 hours at least for a while. I checked the Advanced Battery Information on the HP Support Assistant and this indicates that the battery is already 90 days old. I don't know is this is the reason.

My normal usage is Web browsing, email and word processing - no games, no movies. The battery saver is always on once the charge drops below 100%, the screen brightness is set to 25% permanently. So what's going on? It seems to me that this second warranty replacement battery is either not new or it's defective. Maybe HP have a policy (I'm only guessing) of only replacing batteries with a fresh one once after that it's a refurbished(?) or recycled(?) one.

Can anyone tell what if anything I should do about this?

TIA

Trevor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation