Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17z-ak000 CTO Product number:1DK07AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!  this question is regarding my laptop:

17z-ak000 CTO

Serial number: [edited]

Product number:1DK07AV

I have upgraded to the last bios available- F.10

From new, the OS lives on a 128GB SSD, and I want to upgrade that SSD.  Right now, the SSD is SATA

My question is:  Will my mobo/bios support booring from a PCIe SSD?  That is certainly what I would prefer...

Thanks! 

oldcrowe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@oldcrowe Welcome to HP Forums Community!
Here's the list of upgradeable parts tested and approved by HP for you (see image below)

And yes, you should be able to make use of the recovery media to install the OS on the new SSD once its replaced and it should boot from the new SSD.

You may visit page: 2 Chapter 1 - Product description using this link: Click here

(As an upgrade/custom enthusiast I personally love the idea of upgrading the device as well, However, HP recommends that you go easy on it as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed above are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion)

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@oldcrowe Welcome to HP Forums Community!
Here's the list of upgradeable parts tested and approved by HP for you (see image below)

And yes, you should be able to make use of the recovery media to install the OS on the new SSD once its replaced and it should boot from the new SSD.

You may visit page: 2 Chapter 1 - Product description using this link: Click here

(As an upgrade/custom enthusiast I personally love the idea of upgrading the device as well, However, HP recommends that you go easy on it as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed above are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion)

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Riddle-Deipher-

Thanks for the reply!

I think I see from what you posted that my SSD needs to be SATA, not PCIe (as I mentioned in my original post...)

I was hoping that my bios would support PCIe... but I think I'm stuck with SATA!

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@oldcrowe yes, I'm afraid it is SATA and I saw that on your original post, which is why I shared the image and the link 😉

Although, unless you are into major data transfer and high-performance programming/gaming, it shouldn't matter much.

That said, if you need anything else, feel free to tag me or write back to us anytime.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.