Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All,

I recently did a System Restore to fix an issue on my new HP laptop. Once the restore successfully completed, I noticed that this issue was fixed, but something else wasn't working correctly. I noticed that the mic mute and webcam kill toggle keys weren't displaying the status popup (before the restore process, pressing these keys would momentarily display a small grey box with a microphone/camera with/without a slash at the bottom center of the screen). Its nothing important, but it makes it easier to know when the buttons were pressed. How do I re-enable this popup to appear once the keys are pressed? Is this missing popup related to the registry, group policy, or driver? In other words, where would I go to reenable this feature?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I never see myself being the first one to report a solution to my own post :D.

Anyway, I figured out a solution to this problem. For those of you who have this problem, it's the HP System Event Utility that controls the visibility if this mic/webcam toggle popup. Apparently after my system restore this Event Utility App broke (Each time I searched and clicked on it it wouldn't launch the app). I had to go into Windows 10 Settings > Add or Remove Programs > HP System Event Utility App > Advanced Options > and press Repair underneath the Reset Section. 

This successfully repaired the app and now the notification pops up on the toggles!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I never see myself being the first one to report a solution to my own post :D.

Anyway, I figured out a solution to this problem. For those of you who have this problem, it's the HP System Event Utility that controls the visibility if this mic/webcam toggle popup. Apparently after my system restore this Event Utility App broke (Each time I searched and clicked on it it wouldn't launch the app). I had to go into Windows 10 Settings > Add or Remove Programs > HP System Event Utility App > Advanced Options > and press Repair underneath the Reset Section. 

This successfully repaired the app and now the notification pops up on the toggles!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.