Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Stream 7 & sp72220 Kionix G-Sensor Enabling Driver

Stream 7 5701na
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,
I've exhausted the forums and the web looking for a method to enable the Kionix Sensor Fusion device on my two Stream 7 tablets.  Everything works just fine with 'Win 8.1 with Bing', but the sensors will not install properly under Win 10.  I've unpacked the SP72220 package, then unpacked the 'setup.exe' installer, which contains the drivers/inf's/batch files/reg entries etc.  But try as I may, the Kionix Sensor Fusion device will not start, rather it reports an error 10, and remains disabled.  You name it, and I've tried it.  I've re-installed the OS multiple times, and I've tried the Win 8.1 drivers as well as the Win 10 drivers.  I've even downloaded multiple versions from Kionix, and from the web, always with the same result.  I also tried DoubleDriver and similar to backup the drivers from a Win 8.1 install, then restore them to a Win 10 install, but again, the device will not start.  I really do not like Win 8.1, but if the sensors won't start, then I may well have to revert to the factory-installed OS.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour, and if so, do they have a solution?  I personally think it's something to do with the exe's and/or batch files within the package.  It took me a while just to figure out the parameters in the batch files, but I think I'm missing something with dpinst.exe, wudfupdate, mkdevnode, etc.  I'm really at the end of my patience with this, but the tablet will be pretty unusable if the screen doesn't rotate.  I don't mind installing the drivers and reg mods from the command line, if someone can assist with the preferred order.  It's going to be something that the installer is missing.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 10
1,587 1,577 133 309
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Stream 7 and installed all the Windows 10 drivers from the HP site and everything works fine including the Kionix sensor.  There are instructions here if you need them. 

I am not sure why you are mentioning batch files and .inf files etc, there is nothing to do but run the setup.exe files for each driver.  I installed the Intel chipset driver pack first and rebooted and then installed the remaining drivers and then did a second reboot.  Also make sure you have applied the latest BIOS firmware since there was a fix for the motion sensor for Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 10 2 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

The Win 8.1 sensor package (SP69308) installs as expected under Win 8.1, but the Win 10 sensor package (SP72220) will not successfully enable the Kionix Sensor Fusion device.  I unpacked the SP package, then the contained setup.exe package, and checked through the installation batch file.  Although the setup routine does apparently complete, without any error messages, something is not installing or enabling correctly.  Unfortunately, I cannot see what the installer is doing, as the batch commands are configured to run silently.  So I ran the batch elements from the command line, in an attempt to find which element is failing.  Both tablets exhibit the same behaviour, both work fine under Win 8.1, and both are running the latest available BIOS, F.0F Rev.A.  I was hopeful that a driver update would be forthcoming, but the driver page hasn't been updated since November 2015.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,587 1,577 133 309
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have not had this problem with my Stream 7 and I have not seen this problem posted to the forum in the past so something seems wrong.  You wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 10, installed the Intel chipset driver pack, rebooted and then installed the SP72220.exe file and it does not work?  I have seen the DOS window pop up during the installation but then it exits and does not cause a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 10 2 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, a full clean install of Win 10 from a USB via the OTG cable, with an external KB and mouse.  Installed the chipset package first, rebooted, installed the remaining drivers, and rebooted after each.  I think the only one that didn't ask for a reboot was the touchscreen driver.  Left the Kionix package (SP72220) 'til last.  At this point there was a single unknown device in device manager, which I assume was the sensor I/O device.  After the install, the Accelerometer shows up under Sensor I/O, and the Sensor Fusion driver appears under Sensors, albeit disabled.  There is no sign of the orientation sensor however.  I can add the two sensors manually as legacy devices, but the Sensor Fusion will not respond, and then disables itself after five minutes or so.  Fraustrating, to say the least.  I know it sounds like a first-world problem, having to manually change orientation every time I flip the screen, but it gets old pretty fast.  And continually re-installing the OS to try one more driver version, or one more package is getting a bit boring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 10 2 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I think the DOS window that opens, and all the text that flies by, is the driver update framework checking if the relevant files are in place, which they should be in the latest Win 10 release.  All the package is really doing is installing the drivers, copying a couple of sys and inf files, and writing some calibration values to the registry.  So quite what is preventing it from enabling the sensors is a mystery to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,587 1,577 133 309
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Since the Kionix driver file has not changed, I can only think that possibly the Windows 10 install image from the Media Creation Tool has been updated to break the driver somehow.  Possibly you could raise the issue with HP or Kionix, there may be some installation logs that could be reviewed to give the specific error?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 10 2 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I used the latest build from MSDN, and burned the ISO to a USB key using Rufus, so it should be fine.  I'll send Kionix an email, and the WER logs that show the driver installing but not starting.  Fingers crossed they can suggest something.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,587 1,577 133 309
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, I meant the latest build from Microsoft might have broken something with the Kionix driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 10 2 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It behaves the same way, regardless of which MSDN ISO I use, the original Win 10 release, the updated release (1511), then the most recent update (1511 Feb 2016).  The one thing that's just dawned on me is that I've been using the Pro 'N' versions, so I don't have the media bloat.  I wonder if it may be worth a try with the non-N version instead.  Not that it should make any difference, but I'm at the stage where I'll try anything.  The original OS, Win 8.1 with Bing, was not an 'N' version, and all the sensors worked just fine.  I'll try a non-N version of Win 10 Pro 1511 Feb 2016 when I get home tonight.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation