Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Wireless Mouse X3000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Community:

Hi.  My mouse scroll wheel settings keep reverting to their default (or their original) status per start up.  My objective is to maintain a four-line scroll limit.  I've tried accomplishing this using the Windows 10 desktop setting page, and SPD's control panel. My mouse settings work perfectly during their activation period (if I turn on my system, then apply my preferred mouse wheel settings), but not at all if I reboot my laptop (i.e., if I turn my laptop off and then turn it on again later to resume usage, my mouse wheel resets itself from a four-line scroll limit to 78 lines per scroll, or drops down to a three-line limit -!). My drivers are updated.  No problems were found via diagnostic runs.  I've tried to correct and test the problem by switching USB ports, unplugging the USB mouse tab then rebooting, adjusting the mouse and checking all mouse settings via Windows' Settings-Devices-Mouse procedure, using Device Manager to update and roll back, and updating mouse and system drivers from the HP website (although I might look here and at the Synaptics website again).  Although registry changes were suggested in several internet tech help forums I've read, my current registry profile doesn't match the descriptions provided by those same forum support commentators (no such registry key).  I'm willing to follow exact instructions that are clearly related to my registry -- but no experimentation, thanks!

Any solutions?  Recommendations?  I'll very much appreciate whatever help you can provide.

Thanks. !

--jjb

HP Compaq Presario laptop

HP Mouse, Wireless 

Windows 10, 64-bit, with current updates

Synaptics Pointing Device Settings

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, everyone.  Any ideas yet?  My scroll setting problem persists. 

Thanks for any help (including suggestions) provided.

--jjb

P.S. Could it be caused or related to a (May 2019) Microsoft Windows 10 update flaw?  Just wondered . . . eh . . . Thanks.--j

HP Recommended

@janetjb1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have a few steps to sort this out: 

• Hold down the Windows key and press R 

• Into the Run, box type Regedit and hit enter 

• In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following 

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install 

• Inside, look for a key named DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade 

• If this is present, right-click the key and select Modify 

• Set the Value data field to 0 (Zero) and then click Ok. 

• Close the Registry Editor. 

• Make the Profile setting changes you require in the usual way and save them, then check if they're now retained after a reboot or from waking up the PC from sleep/hibernation mode. 

Let me know if this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I have the same issue which is unresolved.  Tried your instructions. And the setting you referred to is set to 1.  Any other ideas.  The scroll setting will not load on startup.  These rest of the settings do.  Cheers Kim

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.