Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DV6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi I own a HP Pavillion DV6 running windows 8.1 with an i3

I am having challenges with my wi fi adapter. I constantly get the limited connectiivty yellow exclamation point. and often get the red "x" with no connections detected error. Every other device in the house can find and connect to wifi.

I have clicked the network adapters drop down in device manager and disabled "turn off device to conserve battery".

Often my Realtek rtl8188e is not detected under network adapters and only the Realteck PCI family controller is detected. I have seen the realtek rtl8188e be detected with a error code 43 notification.

What is driving this connectivity problem and how can I fix it?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@sburt

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

I understand that you have an HP Pavillion DV6 series laptop and the wireless connection has issues. There is a limited connectivity yellow exclamation mark and often get the red X. Also the wireless card is not detected. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue and have certainly done a good job.

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this: 

• Did any hardware changes or software updates happen on the laptop?
  • What is the exact laptop model number? This link will help in locating the model number: https://hp.care/2rqaxcu

During my research, I found that the code 43 indicates that Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Let us run a hardware test on the wireless card by following the below steps:

• Shutdown the laptop.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu
  • The Component Tests menu displays.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests
  • Wireless Module Test - The Wireless Module Test checks your system to make sure the wireless module was properly detected by the BIOS and is enabled for use.

To run the test, click Wireless Module, and then click Run once. The Wireless Module Test takes 30 seconds to complete.

If the wireless card test fails then please reach out to our HP phone support team to heck the available service options:

1) Click on this link - https://hp.care/2moMFSc

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device. You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating your Serial Number.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

6) Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If the wireless test passes then you may perform the steps (step1 to step 6) from this HP documenthttps://hp.care/2nETfpX

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes. 

All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.