Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hewlett-Packard HP G62 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Need help from an HP Guru

Installing Windows 10 upgrades and updates on my HP Laptop is a hit an miss situation.  I do not believe that this is the fault of the upgrades/updates, but rather the HP Laptop itself.  Many upgrades/updates involve required restarts when installing and working on them with the instructions "Do not turn off your computer".

The problem is that the required restarts are not happening properly, resulting in frozen or blank screens.  When this happens, after a reasonable amount of time, I am guessing that the restart is not happening, and I do a hard shut down and restart.  Most times this works, but sometimes it does not, and has resulted in failed installs, and even worse, complete crashes.

So my conclusion is that the fault is wit the HP Laptop itself.  I have tried changing power settings, many different ways, without solving the problem.  Other than dealing with upgrades/updates, I have noticed that closing the lid sometimes does not shut down as it should, resulting in a blank unresponsive screen, and requiring a hard shut down and restart to remedy this.

I am leaning towards a missing or corrupt entry or entries in the registry as being the villain.  Bear in mind that I know nothing about the registry.

Any thoughts or suggestions about this ?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Reallyoldguy

Several models in this series...

Results for "HP G62 Notebook PC" (5)

Matching products for United States (5)

Pulled the first one as a "check system".

HP G62-100 Notebook PC series

This system does not provide any HP drivers for Windows 10.

This means that some things, in fact any number of things, may behave other than what might be expected in Windows 10.

There is likely no actual "fault" within the computer - rather, the computer is not fully compatible with Windows 10 in the sense that there is no HP driver Infrastructure and you are entirely dependent on Windows 10 Drivers.  This is not terrible - Windows is getting better all the time and its support of vintage hardware is pretty good.

The dependence does mean that not everything will work as you like, and some things may stop working at all.

There is not any hope of updating the BIOS - some instructions that require a newer BIOS are going to be under served (or stop working).

It is sad but not unexpected that unsupported hardware will have a harder and harder time keeping up with the File System.

Advice:

Check for Windows Updates - if you can do so, restart after each update is installed.  This is tougher, of course, if there are a number of updates stacked up in the queue.

Consider new hardware when you have the budget and interest in the subject.

If another Expert has additional input, we will likely hear back.  Smiling.

@Paul_Tikkanen  User has not yet provided exact model - any "HP" drivers for this series?  TIA.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi:

HP has not, nor will they ever release W10 drivers for the entire G62 model series because none of those models were manufactured on or after August of 2013.

Here is the link to the HP PC support matrix for W10 ...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

There may be W10 drivers directly from the hardware manufactuer's websites for some of the devices the PC has.

Otherwise, you can usually get by installing the latest drivers on the support page for the specific model.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen

Thanks, Paul.  I thought as much.

I am never positive until the Guru of Drivers speaks.  Smiling.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

For example:

Realtek has actual W10 drivers for the audio, ethernet and SD card reader...

Audio:   Accept the agreement.  DL and install the W10 x64 driver.

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

Ethernet:   Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W10 driver...

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit...

SD card reader:  Download, unzip and run the setup application from the 1st driver listed at the link below...

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/card-reader-solutions-card-reader-controllers-soft...

HP Recommended

@ Paul Tikkanen -

Are you saying that drivers for Audio, Internet, SD card reader and such are preventing a proper restart when installing Windows 10 updates?  I am having trouble getting my head wrapped around this.  

Ah ha - I just now tried a restart, no updates involved, and it failrd.  Had to do a hard shut down and start up.  Would there be a log of the issue somewhere that might offer a clue?  

I am npt really computer literate,  know only just enough to be dangerous !  !  !

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi, Tom:

What I am saying is that those are the only actual W10 drivers that exist for your notebook.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why the updates are glitching on your notebook.

I wouldn't know where to find any log files and even if I did, I wouldn't know what they meant.

I have an old HP notebook that used to work fine on W10, but now with the latest build, every time the screen goes off, I have to shut down the PC by pressing the power button, because when I touch a key to turn on the display, nothing is there but a dimly lit empty screen.

So, basically as newer builds of W10 come out, our older notebook's can't handle the changes.

You may just want to back up any files you don't want to lose, and do a clean install of W10.

Maybe a fresh start will clear things up.

I'm thinking of doing that on my troublesome HP notebook someday.

I rarely use it, so it isn't a real big deal to me.

HP Recommended

@Reallyoldguy

I found a review for a notebook in this series dated mid-2010.

If your computer is any where near the age of the example, your computer is nearly nine years old.  By the standards for tech equipment, the computer is old - nearly "vintage".

Windows 10 is not the same Operating System it was when "10" was introduced.  The name Windows 10 is the same - the actual Operating System is far different today.  Older hardware is not keeping up with the demands, of course.

My personal advice, given without your asking for my opinion:

It is perhaps time to consider upgrading to newer hardware that is built for today's "Windows".

New computers do not demand that you are "computer literate" to use them.

Old computers require more and more skill to keep them working. 

My own father (since passed away) bought a new computer when he was 87 years young.   Windows 10, easy to use, fast, and I no longer had to spend hours reinventing ways to keep his old Windows 7 machine usable.

The Point:  Any time is a good time to invest in the things that matter to you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Paul_Tikkanen is correct about the logging.  There are likely clues aplenty in the Event Viewer.  For areas of the system that are not curently being logged, it is sometimes possible to enable logging for particular events.  Reading and interpreting the logs is part science, part alchemy, part skillset and experience.  It might interesting to see what is in the logs; as a practical method to fix the problems, it is likely not worth your time to learn the necessary skills. 

If you wish to do so, there are many, many articles and how-to videos on the Internet to assist you.  Search for "Event Viewer".

@Paul_Tikkanen is right about the drivers - if you can update the various drivers that control the hardware components, the machine may work better - or at least stay usable to some degree.  Windows Updates are pretty smart - they are not meant to manage every bit of hardware in the computer.  If certain requirements are not met, updates may balk, fail, or produce some surprising results (unexpected behavior).  Smart ,but not AI smart (not yet, at least).

I do not know whether your computer even supports the option:  Fast Boot

IF your Windows 10 is set to Fast Boot, switch it off.  It is not saving that much time to boot the computer and, most importantly, the feature is not well suited to some systems.

Switch off / on Fast Start / Fast Boot

Settings   > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings 

Choose what the power button does 

Click Change settings that are currently unavailable 

Remove Check (clear box) Turn on fast startup (recommended) 

Save

• Close programs (browsers, games, email, etc) and close any open windows

Windows key + X (opens a command list) > Click / Select Command Prompt (Admin) >

When the command window opens, type the following command and hit Enter:

shutdown /s /t 0

• Wait for the computer to shut down completely (a few seconds)
  • Boot the computer > Log in > Wait around for a couple of minutes (yes, wait, do not rush) >
  • Try shutting down the notebook from Windows key > Power

If all now works as expected, consider switching ON the fast boot / fast startup setting (optional)

Thanks, again, @Paul_Tikkanen

Good Luck, @Reallyoldguy

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.