Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp 2000-2d36UT NOTEBOOK

I want to upgrade my laptop to ssd.I dont know which sata ssd will it support SATA III or SATA 2.plz review this image it show my laptop detailplz review this image it show my laptop detail

my laptop detailmy laptop detail

plz sugest me can my laptop support which sata version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are asking a question that does not need an answer. The drive currently in your laptop as shown by the pictures you posted is running in SATA 2 mode. That is either because the drive itself is SATA 2 or because the motherboard only supports SATA 2. Either way, buy what you want. SATA 2 SSDs are very old now and most anything you buy that is current product will be SATA-3. Install it in your laptop. It may be forced to run as a SATA-2 device but will still be very very fast. SATA is all interoperational. You can put a SATA-3 device on a SATA-I port and it will work at the highest speed supported by the port/motherboard.

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

plz reply to my post i m very confuse.

HP Recommended

You are asking a question that does not need an answer. The drive currently in your laptop as shown by the pictures you posted is running in SATA 2 mode. That is either because the drive itself is SATA 2 or because the motherboard only supports SATA 2. Either way, buy what you want. SATA 2 SSDs are very old now and most anything you buy that is current product will be SATA-3. Install it in your laptop. It may be forced to run as a SATA-2 device but will still be very very fast. SATA is all interoperational. You can put a SATA-3 device on a SATA-I port and it will work at the highest speed supported by the port/motherboard.

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

if i set SATA-3 SSD to SATA 2 slot on motherboard may be there is no chance of SATA-3 SSD to bottomlack ????

HP Recommended

I don't know what bottomlack is. 

HP Recommended

i mean if i replace dvd-drive with SATA 3 SSD using SATA 2 slot may be there is a chance of downside or simply say that is SATA 3 SSD worth it on sata 2

HP Recommended

You do not want to replace the DVD drive with an SSD. Put the SSD inside the laptop and put a hard drive in the DVD slot with an adapter. The DVD SATA port might even be SATA-I and the SSD in a DVD adapter would not be bootable so the cost is wasted. 

Yes putting a SATA-3 SSD on a SATA-2 port is worth it. Still way way faster than a hard drive. 

HP Recommended

you mean that i should put SATA 3 SSD in place of HDD inside the laptop and put the HDD in place of dvd drive.so in this way the sata 2 slot of HDD will be available for SATA 3 SSD and dvd drive slot for HDD may be slow speed for hdd.

m i right sir ??

HP Recommended

Yes that is exactly right

HP Recommended

thank you very much sir for your positive and helful reply.one more question sir how can i distinguish SATA 3 and SATA 2 SSD accourding to its physical structure.and here in market two typs samsung ssd available one is made of korea samsung and other is the same name of samsung china.is there any difference.?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.