Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
laptop model 15-da0008ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP laptop model 15-da0008ca and latest version of Win10 Home edition build 18362.

This laptop has a synaptics touch pad. With this download of Win10, the option to disable tap-to-click has disappeared.

The ability to disable tap-to-click is important as without it I keep triggering all kinds of unwanted actions.

John

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@hiljoball,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

It could be possible that the driver would have been updated after the recent update that is why the option is missing. I suggest you try rolling back the driver to the older version and check if you get the option back.

Please refer to the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select Device Manager.
  2. Expand Mouse.
  3. Right click on the Synaptics Driver and select Properties.
  4. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
  5. Restart the computer if prompted.

If you continue facing the issue, then uninstall the touchpad driver from device manager and then download and install it from the below link and check.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried replacing the driver, but that did not work. I don't think deleting the driver and loading the synaptics driver will resolve the issue long term as the nest WIndows update will just replace it with the WIndows multi-gesture driver again.

I found a work around - from the Start Menu, there is a Synaptics Touchpad program - I started that, and clicked on Settings.  The screen flashed like crazy - as though the program was interfering with the touch-screen settings - however there is a check box called 'Clicking' (not tap to click) - and I unchecked that box and applied the change and exited the program. The flashing stopped and the tap to click problem had gone away.  As this changes a touchpad setting, there is a good chance that it will not be affected with the next Windows Update - have to wait and see.

John

HP Recommended

@hiljoball,

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Open the Settings menu and go to Update & security > Windows Update. Click Check for updates to prompt your PC to scan for the latest updates. The update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Click Restart Now to restart your PC and complete the installation process.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey - John's fix (using the Start menu Synaptics  panel) is working for me so far.  My problem was that with the old driver 19.3.31.31 I could disable tapping from the mouse settings in Control Panel but every time I restarted the computer tapping was active ( even though it was still shown as off in the settings ) until I visited the settings which seemed to apply the already shown off setting.

I updated to 19.5.35.47 but could no longer find a tapping setting in the Mouse Control panel settings.  However going to the Start menu Synaptics panel does give  a tapping option and disabling it there seems to work and it is retained when restarting (so far!).  Don't be afraid of the flashing screen - just disable it while flashing.

Many thanks John

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.