Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp stream notebook 11-r015wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I turn my computer off by going to the shut down process , once I hit shut down the screen went blank, but the light to turn it back on never went off, and now I can't turn it back on or off its just a black screen!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be that the machine hasn't completely shutdown, so try the following.

First, hold down the power button for 10 seconds before releasing it.

Press the power button and see if the notebook now starts.

If it does, let it fully load into Windows and then try disabling Windows 10 hybrid boot - you can do this as follows.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and shutdown the notebook by right click the Start Menu icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and click ‘Yes’ to the uac prompt.

Type ( or copy and paste ) in the following command ( including spaces ) and hit enter.

shutdown /s /t 0

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load for a couple of minutes before checking if it will now shutdown correctly from the Start Menu.

If this has corrected the issue, it may be worth turning Fast Start-up back on – sometimes just deleting and re-creating the file will resolve the problem.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be that the machine hasn't completely shutdown, so try the following.

First, hold down the power button for 10 seconds before releasing it.

Press the power button and see if the notebook now starts.

If it does, let it fully load into Windows and then try disabling Windows 10 hybrid boot - you can do this as follows.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and shutdown the notebook by right click the Start Menu icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and click ‘Yes’ to the uac prompt.

Type ( or copy and paste ) in the following command ( including spaces ) and hit enter.

shutdown /s /t 0

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load for a couple of minutes before checking if it will now shutdown correctly from the Start Menu.

If this has corrected the issue, it may be worth turning Fast Start-up back on – sometimes just deleting and re-creating the file will resolve the problem.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
That didn't work
HP Recommended

Hi,

After you held down the power button for 10 seconds and then released it, did the light on the button go out or was it still illuminated?

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Yes after I did that, it's still on
HP Recommended
Can anyone help with this issue?
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is starting to look like a hardware issue as holding down the power button for over 5-6 seconds should always force a hard shutdown.

It's possibly worth holding down the power button continuously for 20 seconds and seeing if this will force the machine to shutdown, but if it doesn't, and as your notebook will be under warranty, I would suggest contacting HP and arranging for this issue to resolved under warranty.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

notebook was on a few hours. usually goes to sleep. this time screen black, doesnt respond to mouse or on off switch.but the fan is running continually. and wam air comming out.

HP Recommended

@donj0621

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand your computer doesn't have a display though it is powering on and the fan is running,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your device & Which operating system are you using? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03754824

(Do not share any personal information such as serial number, email ID, phone number or address on a public forum for your safety). 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

Did you check with an alternate monitor to check if that has a display?

Please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset

Attempt a BIOS recovery

Run the System Diagnostics tests

For more steps, click here

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

update your Bios from the HP drivers page, it worked for me like it will work for you 😉

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.