Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

HP Sprocket flashing red and green lights when plugged in. Won’t turn on otherwise.  Have reset and still not working.

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

@Baxter20

Make sure the HP Sprocket is charged.

Restart the Sprocket to clear any errors, and then load genuine Sprocket photo paper.

1. Turn off the Sprocket, and then remove the paper cover.

2. Remove any loose photo paper from the input tray, and then make sure the photo paper is in good condition. Remove any severely bent, wrinkled, or torn photo paper from the stack.

CAUTION: 

Do not try to remove any jammed paper from inside the paper path. This can damage the paper path rollers.

3. Turn on the Sprocket.

If there is a jammed photo paper, the Sprocket feeds it through the output slot.

4. Wait until the Sprocket is idle and silent, and then remove any photo paper fed through the output slot.

5. Reload the photo paper with the HP logos facing down. Make sure to load genuine Sprocket photo paper, or the Sprocket might not print

6. Replace the paper cover, and then resend the print job.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

The suggestion did not work.  When I plug the sprocket into power and turn it on, the red light flashes momentarily,6 and then the white light for about 8-10 min and then the pulsating red/green light starts blinking.  It will hold no charge at all.

HP Recommended

@Baxter20

Perform a reset on the printer 

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Locate the Reset button near the charging port.

Locating the reset button

3. Gently insert the straight pin into the reset button access point, and then press the Reset button for 3 seconds.

The printer resets and turns off.

4. Turn on the printer.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

So sad. I have the same problem today and did as you stated above and from hp website. My printer still flashes, and photos were damaged by printing only partial images. I guess it’s because the printer cannot be charged. It was printing fine and loved it a month ago. Now I wonder the life span of sprocket printer. Is there hope or is it done for? 😭 Advice please. Thank you. 

HP Recommended

This suggestion did not work either.  I did the reset and briefly (maybe 15 seconds) the sprocket turned on with the white light constant, not pulsating, my iPhone recognized the sprocket, but before I could send anything to print, the flashing red/green light returned.  This is ridiculous to pay for something that only works a short time.  There is clearly a problem with the first generation sprocket.  I wouldn't buy an updated one at this point.  Someone at HP needs to offer to replace what we have or make some concession.  HP has always been a great product.  In fact, we have printers and such at work, but I am beginning to think they don't stand behind their products.  I will look elsewhere and from the sounds of it, it looks like others will too.

HP Recommended

@Baxter20

Refer to this document for more info on blinking lights.

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Baxter20,

Thank you for your post. Your description of your problematic printer sounds just like mine. It’s been two days, and the red/green light is still flashing and the red light only briefly stays still when I turn on the printer to print, photo will print  1/5 of the page and then stop as the white ‘on’ light goes off and the red/green flashes like crazy again. I haven’t just wasted money on this printer but also a big bulk of hp zinc paper I bought on Amazon! I cannot risk buying  another sprocket just to use the paper. I do hope someone from hp is reasonable enough to replace or repair our defective sprockets. I have always protected my printer, keeping it in a thick pouch and then in a pretty zip bag. I would appreciate if some hp staff would offer a positive response to our sad and frustrating situation. My family has been loyal hp customers for the past 20 years. We have bought many times of its regular printers, computers and hp photo papers- too many times to count! 

HP Recommended

Kumar -

Clearly, my Sprocket is out of warranty so there’s no help there!  So your products shouldn’t last beyond a warranty period?  Is that how HP wants to conduct business?  It is obvious to me from this thread and those who are commenting, that this is a serious problem with the Sprocket and not something that was caused by misuse or abuse at the hands of the owners.  STEP UP HP and fix this issue for us.  Perhaps you are so large, you don’t need those of us buying Sprockets.  Your message is becoming loud and clear.  Just say it, we are out of luck unless we buy another one of your products.  No thanks, I’ll be printing from box stores before I buy another one of your products.  Looks like I’m not alone.  Clearly, we spent money on an HP defective product!  The “Accept As Solution”  button below  needs to be changed to “Sorry for your Luck” button.  Furious consumer here in case you can’t tell!

HP Recommended

@Baxter20

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.