Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Sprocket Plus
iOS

I recently purchased a brand new Sprocket Plus and am wondering if the print quality from these two sample prints is normal or problematic.

I have already tried all the suggestions listed here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-sprocket-photo-printer/12635221/document/c05660842, but have seen no improvement. 

Note the observable lines running down  the lighter portions of the prints. 

Is this normal? Is this simply a limitation of zink technology?

Thanks in advance!

CFCD5829-C963-4D29-B41A-C410C435C1E1.jpeg09DFC9DA-BDCF-4427-B690-58A4F232A2E5.jpeg

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@daughterlaoye,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I will be glad to assist you and let’s get right to it. Superb description and commendable diagnosis. It is amply appreciated.

Let me gather some information for better clarity to assist you correctly:

• Did you try resetting the sprocket and check again?

Furnish all the requested information for me to assist you correctly.

• Meanwhile, I will be providing a roadmap with some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Let us try these steps:
  • From this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05800351 (HP Sprocket Plus Printers - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)  and follow instructions from the section “How do I reset my printer?”
  • Try the other options relevant to your situation also.
  • Now check if the issue gets resolved.
  • Also, try printing from multiple apps.
  • Download HP Smart APp and try printing from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03561640 and check if the issue gets fixed.
  • Try using Apple AirPrint to print.

Now check if it gets resolved. If it continues and the print quality is not good, then the issue could be hardware related.

• I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box in the upper right corner next to the bell icon.
  • I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David, thanks for your response. 

I reset my sprocket, but the same lines appear in my prints as before. 

I tried to print from HP Smart App and Apple AirPrint, but since HP Sprocket Plus is Bluetooth only (i.e., there is no wifi in the Sprocket printers), I do not think HP Smart App or Apple Airprint can print to the HP Sprocket. The HP Smart App was not able to find the HP Sprocket via bluetooth, and it is not on this list of supported printers either (this list was provided directly from within the HP Smart App). Can you please confirm that this suggestion is not applicable for HP Sprocket printers? 

Since reseting the printer had no impact on my problem, I will follow the instructions you PMed me. 

Hopefully others will be able to respond to my original message regarding whether the lines are typical of this printer. 

HP Recommended

@daughterlaoye,

I read your response. Thanks for the update. Your efforts and patience are greatly appreciated. Please follow directions from my private message and it should be taken care of.

Thanks and have a blessed weekend ahead. 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have simmilar issues with my brand new HP Sprocket Plus - multiple color stains in solid color areas (on color borders etc) and all colors are really washy, very different from the results I can see on videos. 

My firmware version is 1.0.5 and hardware version 6.

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended
I followed the PM instructions I got to contact Customer Service, and I have a “new” reburbished unit being sent to me. I will test the new printer and see if the print quality is the same. The service rep did not really comment on whether the print quality was typical or not; he just followed a script for some troubleshooting, but since I was still unsure about the quality, he submitted the order for the replacement unit.

I’ll be sure to respond back to this thread with the results of the new printer. I do wish online reviews showed up close images of the prints. I’m starting to suspect they do not because they received the printer for free to review and the up close images would not be a great selling point.

We’ll see!
HP Recommended

Hi daughterlaoye, thank you for your answer. And what version of firmware and hardware do you have on your Sprocket Plus? Do you try any other pocket printer like this?

HP Recommended

My Sprocket Plus Firmware is verion 1.0.5 and Hardware version 6.

A few years ago, I gifted a Fujifilm Instax SP-1 to my sister in law. We did a few prints together, and I recall the print quality looking a little soft overall, but no artefacts or lines like I'm seeing on the HP printer. I suspect it has to do with the difference in Zink technology, but I hope I'm wrong. I really love the sticker format!! 

HP Recommended

Following up on my issue: The replacement unit arrived today, and I have tested it with the same images I've printed before. The same lines are apparent in these prints as before, so I think this is just the limitation of Zink technology.

Disappointing, since no one at HP could confirm that this level of print quality was normal or not, but the support was at least responsive enough to replace the unit for me. Looks like I need to make a trip to FedEx to ship this unit back to HP, which is a bit annoying, and I have wasted a bit of film with all these test prints, but what can you do. 

Generally, the lines are most obvious in prints with large, lighter areas. It doesn't seem to be as bad on images that have more going on in them, so I will probably just be more selective in the images I print, since I still do like the sticker format and overall form factor. 

Hope this helps others who are wondering about print quality as well. 

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

daughterlaoye, thank you for your useful review. It really seems it's a limitation of Zink technology. I wish I could see a live comparison of HP Sprocket and other zink printers (LG, Polaroid, Canon) and see the differences.

klimbo12 - great, we are waiting for your review 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.