Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
probook 6560b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Sorry for my approximative english, but I'm belgian and I speak french.
I've a Probook 6560b since some years and recently it give me an alert when I start it, smart hard disk error...

What may I do? 

Thank you for your help.
P1150386.JPG 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Philath 

If you are still able to boot up, save all the data you don't want to lose to an external USB hard disk or flash drive.

The Hard disk 301 error indicates hard drive failure or severe drive corruption.

The only solution is to replace the hard disk and then reinstall Windows or Linux to the new disk.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you, I will order a new Hard drive disk, but how can I reinstall Windows?

HP Recommended

You can reinstall it with a USB Windows 10 installer.

Are you able to boot into Windows to get the activation code?

Was your notebook delivered with Windows 8.1?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I've no usb Key with windows, I buyed my computer in second hand and all was installed.

HP Recommended

If have listed some options below.

If you search online you may be able to find a Windows 10 ISO and then use it with a utility called RUFUS to create a Windows 10 installer.

The tutorial at hyperlink for the  website below may be the solution you need. You may be able to download Windows 10 make an installer and install Windows 10 at no cost.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-use-rufus-to-download-windows-10-iso/

One problem you may face at the Microsoft website is that Microsoft's Media Creation tool will ask you for an activation key. Since you had an activated Windows 10 already, Microsoft's licensing servers have the MAC address for your notebook linked to a license, so if you can install Windows 10, the licensing servers will activate the newly installed Windows 10 OS as soon as you go online.

The Creation tool website is at the hyperlink below this line.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That is likely to be a problem since the 24 character activation code is present in the  Windows 10 installation on the failed hard disk.

Newer notebooks have the ability to use HP Cloud Recovery utility to make an installer.

Unfortunately, your notebook has no HP Cloud Recovery utility support. 

Your notebook most likely came installed with Windows 8 or 8,1 and that leaves you out in the cold. 

One option is to purchase an activation key online. It won't be terribly expensive.

Once you have an installation key, you can use the Media creation tool at the hyperlink above with a 32 GB usb flash drive to create installation media and reinstall Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Thank you I'll have a look at your propositions.

Otherway, I think to buy a license and an USB key with Win10 pro FR. And then clearly work in good conditions.

HP Recommended

Hi, I've ordered a new hard disk,  a Western Digital SSD WD Blue 500 Go  to replace my actual hitachi.

I've also ordered an original version of Windows 10 pro, to be clear.
So how does it work for the drivers of the hardware installed
?

HP Recommended

Hi @Philath1 

When you run the installer, Windows 10 will install the vast majority of the drivers on its own.

It will also use the Windows 10 license that is already tied to the system board of your notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.