Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP PRODESK 600 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear community,

I have very strange situation! The Prodesk 600 G5 of a customer suffers from a 3 shorts/red, 4 long/white beep/light code.

Everything has been changed... everything: the motherboard (two times), the CPU, the RAM, the PSU (tested with 3 different brand new).

With or whithout (youuuuu 🎵) any storage attached, the machine still refuses to boot: 3 shorts, 4 longs.

The Maintenance and Service Guide explains well the error on page 92 : The system board displays a power failure (crowbar).*  Indicates hardware triggered event; all other events are controlled by the BIOS.

I'm lost with that machine, I don't know what to do now, any advice or hint?

System and network administrator since 2004. Sometimes I help you, sometimes you help me. If my answer helped you, feel free to thumb up 🙂
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Antoine_F -- have you done a search within this discussion forum for "beep 3 short 4 long"?

Or, a Google-search for "HP beep 3 short 4 long"?

What devices are connected when you power-on? Can you disconnect most of those devices? Does it make a difference?

HP Recommended

Hi itsmyname,

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

Yes, I search Google and the community before posting.

The problem occurs with or without the PC case (so even with the mobo put on anti-static bag, only detail when out of the case: the CPU cooler can't be tighten because it fixes in the back of the case), with or without the m.2 ssd, with original RAM or another similar one.

The CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU have been replaced...

On it simpler configuration (mobo + CPU + RAM + PSU + video connection to the screen... nothing more), the problem occurs again.

What astonished me is that with all those replacements, it's almost a new computer but the problem appears again 😞

System and network administrator since 2004. Sometimes I help you, sometimes you help me. If my answer helped you, feel free to thumb up 🙂
HP Recommended

@Antoine_F -- in the Guide that your referenced, I see:

Hardware

3.4 The system board displays a power failure (crowbar).*

Thermal

4.3 An ambient temperature over temperature condition has been detected.

Which code are you experiencing?

I think that "over temperature" means that the current temperature is outside of the "normal" range for the temperature.

HP Recommended

The hardware one as mentioned in my first post. It's kind of cryptic but documented in the manual, the crowbar power failure.

But I borrow another PSU from a brand new HP computer (exact same values, exact same connectors) and it was the same.

HP Recommended

@Antoine_F -- It's kind of cryptic but documented in the manual, the crowbar power failure.

Both the "4.3" and the "3.4" are documented.  Which one applies to your computer?

HP Recommended

Sorry, I thought it was clear that it was "3.4" (as in the title and the first line of my post), but it wasn't because I mistakenly wrote long in place of short and short in place of long...

So, in order to be sure there is no more ambiguity, below the exact code:

codes.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.