Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840

Hi,

I’m trying to do a Boot Block Recovery, I hear the 8 beeps, the flash drive light turn on quickly but Zi get no video. Just wondering, if my processor was damaged, would I get this far?

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

first of all "WHY" are you trying to reflash the bios?

HP Recommended

Hi,

the system is not booting anymore black screen, fans running at full speed. So I’m wondering, do I have a faulty CPU, a faulty motherboard of both. Can you run the Boot Block Recovery with a faulty CPU or no CPU at all?  I’m trying to pin point my problem.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

was the system running normally before the black screen?

attempting a bios recovery when the system is unstable,  simply adds another major issue namely a corrupted bios due to the attempted bios recovery actually corrupting a working bios

same for trying a bios recovery for a black screen issue that may be caused by a corrupted windows install or a bad video cable

performing a bios recovery which by it's nature will cause a existing bios to be removed or possibly corrupted

please check this forum on posts by "SDH" on the proper placement of the recovery bios, on newer systems you no longer simply place the recovery bios in the root of the usb key, it needs to be placed in a specific folder location

HP Recommended

Hi,

can you answer my original question, do you need a working processor in order to do a Boot Block Recovery?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

,........... gosh no, cpu's are optional all computers can run without a central processor!!

the mfg's place them on a motherboard just for decoration!

in reality,...............................they are most definitely required, and a system needs to be running properly before trying to do a bios update!!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for the reply I’m assembling this workstation with used parts and trying to figure out what is the problem. The system first booted slowly but OK with fan at full speed. Went into BIOS, configured a few things, save and reboot. Then nothing, system wouldn’t boot and no video. Pushing the  CMOS clear button or removing the battery and password jumper. Does not solve the problem.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

why not be "smart" and download the HP z840 service manual?.... that document will be most helpful as it covers  how to do a power supply "BIST" test,  general troubleshooting proper ram placement and so on...........................

then i would download the HP ram placement document and the bios update procedure by "SDH" in other words READ BEFORE BLINDLY doing things like a bios recovery which in this case may have caused even more issues .....................................

the READY  FIRE AIM approach to troubleshooting rarely pays off

HP Recommended

The problem was there before I tried the BBR procedure and yes I already have these documents.

HP Recommended

if the system was working normally and you made changes in the bios that resulted in a non boot, experienced troubleshooters would NOT jump to the conclusion that a bios recovery should be performed (changing bios options does not corrupt  a bios)

i've seen people enable the "compute" option in the bios (which kills all video output) then attempt a bios recovery which makes the system almost impossible to recover from

i've seen people attempt a bios recovery after improperly installing more ram, and now have a major problem (bad bios) along with a simple one (ram in wrong dimm slots)  and so on.........................

as i said you may have added a corrupt bios to your list of issues by trying to do a bios recovery

read the "SDH" posts on how to do a proper bios recovery on the z840

if you read the service manual, have you actually performed a "FULL CMOS RESET" or just a partial custom custom cmos reset using the reset button?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.