Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings from here,

Recently, my PC developed some issues which I’m currently confused about what must’ve caused it. About 3 weeks or a month ago, I noticed that the keyboard started malfunctioning; when I press the CTRL key, it’ll automatically start increasing the screen brightness, and in some cases, the screen brightness will automatically start increasing by itself; during that period, some key combinations were not working such as Shift+C (particularly the left Shift key) and other key combinations. This incident continued and couldn’t allow me to peacefully carry out programs on VS Code. However, it later stopped by itself after few days or about a week and returned back to normal. 

About 3 days ago, another issue developed again. I was trying to open VS Code when I noticed that it suddenly started opening multiple tabs on Edge browser. First, it automatically opens the browser and started opening multiple tabs of the same webpage (Microsoft Help page) and it continually skip anything else I’m trying to do and open the browser with multiple tabs the same time. 

Not only that, most of keys malfunction now. Pressing most of keys automatically triggers the same action, and most other keys will end up performing different actions. As I'm typing now, it has opened over a hundred tabs within seconds to few minutes. 

I’ve ran Full scam multiple times and implemented the security recommendations but the issue still persists. 

I haven’t used the PC for the past three days and there are lots of tasks I’m supposed to perform as soon as possible. 

What could cause and how do I go about remedying it please?

SYSTEM DETAILS 

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx

Device name: DESKTOP-H7FOTC1

Please let me know if there are further details I need to provide. 

Regards!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This seems like a defective keyboard.  Attach a USB keyboard and see if the problem goes away.

If concerned about a virus then run the Microsoft safety scanner 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/intelligence/safety-scanner-download?view=o...

I suspect you will need to replace the keyboard 

if still in warranty then ---

1) Click on this link -
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device.
4) Select the country from the drop-down.
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.
6) Fill the web form and proceed further.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.