Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey,

I've changed the settings from legacy support disabled to secure boot enabled and I just get a Black screen after reboot.

No boot menu, and no chance to get into bios (Removing batterie does also not help). 

To be honest, this is the second time this has happened to me.

I bought a new mainboard due to this error and I did not change any other settings.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Disable secure boot.

Then you have to reinstall W10 in EFI mode by booting the installation media from one of the EFI devices (EFI DVD, or EFI USB).

After W10 installs in EFI mode, you can enable secure boot.

HP Recommended

also, make sure your video card is UEFI enabled, cards made in the last 5 years are all uefi capable as i recall

HP Recommended

Hello
I can't do anything because I see only a black screen 😞

Two Nvidia cards were tested with the same result  > K5200 & M5000.

I think, I have the same problem like Airborne9521.
HP Z840 UEFI video BIOS nVidia K5200 - HP Support Community - 8107949

HP Recommended

I had similar problem with my HP Z620 box  which I couldnt solve
I used my spare  HPZ620 then

its real strange to brick your pc that way but it happens in HP Z series

HP Recommended

you can change legacy to secure boot on the fly with mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullos

no need to reinstall

HP Recommended

I tried that  mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullos command on a HP 8200 Elite CMT, running W10 21H1.

It didn't work for me, but I the OP has nothing to lose by trying it.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I borrowed a NV gtx 1060 and I can start normally with secure boot, but not with Original Nvidia Quadro's o.O

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.