Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
USB C Dock G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have a work issued HP laptop, and the HP USB C Dock G5, so I can work from home with the monitors, mouse and keyboard I already have to my stationary PC. 

The dock works beautifully with the laptop, but as stated above I also have a stationary PC based on an Asus Z170-AR motherboard, and would like to use the dock with that as well, so I don't have to keep unplugging my monitors, mouse and keyboard from the G5 dock every day to be able to use the stationary PC.

I bought the Asus USB Type-C Card, not knowing that not all USB-C ports are made alike, and the Asus USB Type-C Card doesn't seem to support video/display, and that the G5 dock seems to only support "HP Business Laptops" so even with another Usb-C  Card it might not work with my regular stationary PC.

Is there any way to solve this and enable me use the G5 dock to switch my setup between my work laptop and personal stationary?

Edited for clarity. 
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Leri 

Not all USB-C ports are the same.  I don't know your Asus USB-C card, looks like they are not compatible. I am usinga  USB-C Gen 5 dock with an HP 840 G5 machine right now.

I tested my G5 dock using an HP Envy, a Dell inspiron 13 7000 and an HP Omen 15. The dock works beautifully with the 840 (of course, I bought the dock for it), the Envy and the Dell but not 100% with the Omen (I knew that, the Omen requires 200W charger and the dock only gives 100W max)

Now back to your setup, what is your PC ? and your Aus card ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My stationary PC is based around the Asus Z170-AR motherboard and I was hoping I could add the Asus USB Type-C Card to be able to use the HP USB-C Dock G5 with it.

But I was told today that the Asus USB Type-C Card doesn't support video/display, and that the G5 dock only support "HP Business Laptops" so even with another Usb-C  Card it might not work with a regular stationary PC.

I used some of this reply to edit my original post. 

HP Recommended

The problem description is very poor. 

Think about an KVM-Switch or activate "RemoteDesktop" 

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, how can I improve it? 

I'm not overly tech savvy, but I can try harder! 

HP Recommended

You could google for KVM-Switch

and for Remote Desktop if you use the professional edition of Windows. Then you need just 2 clicks and you are ready

HP Recommended

Hmm yeah most screens has double output and the rest could be managed by a kvm switch to the stationary and to the G5.

The remote desktop idea is interesting as well, but I am not sure that the company accesses and vpn would work with that. I have to look that up further.

HP Recommended

If your equipment has VGA ports you shuld buy a KVM switch with VGA. They are very reliable. and very cheap. 

HP Recommended

you already have the answer: as HP only tests for compatibility with their own products in most cases

the G5 dock seems to only support "HP Business Laptops" so even with another Usb-C  Card it WILL NOT WORK with my regular stationary PC

also keep in mind that there is a major difference between laptop port replicators and laptop docks,  google this if curious

last, KVM switches vary in cost and feature sets, so talk with the KVM maker's support site to see if the one you might want will do what you want

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.