Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z400 Workstation
Other

Hello, i have an HP Z400 workstation, it worked fine until i took the time to move the hardware to a new case for better cooling and airflow.

when i press the power button the power supply clicks on, the fans spin once, then everything stops and the power LED blinks as if the PC in in hibernate (4 1s blinks, no sounds)

i have verified that the new front panel is connected to the MB correctly, including polarity for the LEDs, and the temp sensor is even installed.

one thing i was considering is the new fans plug into the power supply and not the motherboard

any suggestions or ideas would be of great help

almost forgot, the OS is windows server 2012

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

thank you for the information, turns out i forgot the 2 non-aligned standoffs below the motherboard. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

the power supply has a different wiring.

Pins 12 and 23 on Z400 are both +12v as opposed to 3.3v and 5v respectively on standard ATX.

Pin 20 on Z400 is ground but -5v on ATX.

Z400_vs_ATX_PSU_pinout.png

HP Recommended

thank you for the information, turns out i forgot the 2 non-aligned standoffs below the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

@prince0rion wrote:

I am atetmoting the same thing, I am moving the mobo to a new case and also tryign to add a new PSU, I am having the same issue, in fact I can't get the PC to boot. If you've transfered it to a new case, did you transfer the Mobo and PSU as well? If you did what case did you use, as I am finding it difficult to find a case that will house the default PSU, that's why I looked at alternative PSU's..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.