Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Envy-7640-whistling-noise/m-p/5198385#...

Envy 7640 whistling noise - HP Support Forum - 5198385

Product Name: Envy 7640

The Envy 7640 "whistling noise" appears to be on ongoing problem and seems, as yet, to be unresolved and not limited to just one country. My Envy 7640 printer is a couple of months old and hs exhibited the noise problem since installation. Very irritating in a home environment.

Here's what I did to investigate the source of the noise:

1. Unplug the mains cable from the rear of the printer.

2. Remove the single Torx screw (a flat screwdriver blade will also fit) above the mains inlet socket and indicator LED.

3. Remove the small panel to reveal the sealed power supply block (PSU).

4. Remove the 3 pin DC connector at the top of the PSU and it should simply lift out.

I then plugged in the mains cable to now disconnected PSU and noted that, off-load,  it emitted a load buzzing noise at approximately twice the mains frequency (that's 2 x 50Hz + 100Hz in the UK).

Following this, I disconnected the mains cable from the PSU and reconnected the DC cable - taking care not to strain this as there's not a great deal of slack. I then reconnected the mains cable and immediately noted that the PSU block emitted the, by now, very familiar whistling noise - clearly the PSU is the source of the problem.

As an ex-electronics engineer with a long experience of switch mode PSUs, the noise problem is clearly one of insufficient damping on the ferrite components in the PSU. Most PSU manufacturers use a hot gluetype product or conformal coating to minimise audible harmonics on these components but, without breaking apart the casing, it's obviously not possible to visually inspect the circuit board to check that this is the cause of the noise problem.

For info; the PSU from my printer is a HP Part No. A9T80-60008 and the Serial No. is 141111XXC4A4.

Whether there is a major design flaw in the PSU product or, if there's simply a bad batch is difficult to say but, from a customer perspective this is clearly a major issue that mars an otherwise excellent all-in-one printer. Clearly, I don't really want a replacement printer from the supplier as, from the forum, this doesn't seem to solve the problem. Possibly a replacement PSU might resolve the issue but, only if the PSU design has been amended.

HP should clearly address the issue globally and, in my case, solve the noise problem for me before it drives me, the wife, the dog and the cat crazy.

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

08/17/15 - Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.