Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Nahhh... it's not the motor. I just took a deep breath and started to dissasemble the printer... (we need to have some apetite in order to start a job like this.. and i wasn't having much latetly.. eheh)) 

When i was checking the traling cable i noticed that one of the two flat cables had an issue. Both outside tracks of one of the flat cables were giving me a reading above 1.2 ohms (which is about the normal for this length).. one was giving me 22 ohms and the other track was giving me about 60 ohms... this can't be right.. that cable is damaged. Is this the problem?? Probably.. will replace it make sure..

I will replace these cables and get back to you guys.. (it may take a while since i will have to order them now)..

HP Recommended

I guess later better than never.

Service station was replaced. No difference.

While disasembling, I've located a loose wire that was not fixed in properly after last disasembly.

(on picture bottom left wire)

hp.jpg

Connector in my case needs to be in that slot (just above it) it gives the supports to not be disconected when assembling the machine back.

It seems that it is close to what you describe.

While I can't see how this line is connected to primer mottor, but this is what the result was.

After connecting it back, printheads started to at least try to work.

HP Recommended

@Joanorsky wrote:

When i was checking the traling cable i noticed that one of the two flat cables had an issue. Both outside tracks of one of the flat cables were giving me a reading above 1.2 ohms (which is about the normal for this length).. one was giving me 22 ohms and the other track was giving me about 60 ohms... this can't be right.. that cable is damaged. Is this the problem?? Probably.. will replace it make sure..

I will replace these cables and get back to you guys.. (it may take a while since i will have to order them now)..

So... the new trailing cable has arrived today and i have replaced it. Same thing happens!! :'(

Although the trailing cable was having some high resistance on some tracks that was clearly not the issue with the printer.. so.. yeah... i am kinda in a dead end... any ideas?

I really dont want to start replacing parts in trial-and-error mode as those parts have high cost just to end up figuring that it was not "that" part issue after all... any clues on how to diagnose this?

HP Recommended

... ok.. i am looking at the printer now... and am sharpening an axe.  No one has a clue about to fix this?

HP Recommended

There are so many things that can cause weird problems. I'm guessing you checked the carriage belt well for any damage or wear?

Other things to check:

1) Driver roller encoder and sensor. Check for damage or contamination. Possible bad sensor. All of which could explain the jerky paper feed.

2) Paper axis motor could be worn out as well.

3) I know you've cleaned the linear encoder, but did you check it carefully end-to-end for missing or bad grid lines? I've actually seen where the little vertical lines on the strip began to come off in areas and cause problems.

4) Have you checked the paper rollers' bearings/bushings to make sure they're not  worn and are moving freely/smoothly?

5) Same for checking the carriage belt roller bearings at both ends and the rollers themselves for contamination in the grooves that could allow the belt to slip.

6) I'm sure you've also checked the carriage slide rails to make sure they aren't sticky and the carriage moves freely.

7) It could be a bad service station that isn't visually evident. Replacing it would be the best test.

😎 It could also be a bad electronics or carriage assy. just as easily. I've had to replace them for different customers for similar issues.

Sorry I can't give you anything definitive. Many times it's just my best educated guess from experience and what I see when I check them as to what to try when I get these kind of problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.