Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Hello I am thinking of buying an HP Designjet T790 AO printer I just wanted to clarify if I would be able to print hi quality artwork onto a canvas paper roll?

Best Regards 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP doesn't list canvas paper on their list here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02840631

I've used a T795 to print photos and it does a very good job.  But keep in mind the "T" stands for technical so it's not optimized for doing photos.  You might look at the "Z" series.  For instance the older Z3200 specs lists these papers:

Media types
Photographic (satin, gloss, semi-gloss, matte, Baryte paper ), proofing (semi-gloss, high-gloss contract, semi-gloss contract, matte), fine art printing material (smooth, textured, watercolor, satin, aquarella, litho-realistic, canvas), self-adhesive (indoor, vinyl, polypropylene), banner and sign (display film, indoor banner, scrim, polypropylene, Tyvek, outdoor, billboard, PVC-free), bond and coated (bond, coated, heavyweight coated, super heavyweight plus matte, colored), technical (tracing, translucent bond, vellum), film (clear, matte, polyester), backlit, fabric/textile (flag, polyester, silk)  
Keep in mind, the Z3200 uses 12 colors instead of 6 and 6 printheads instead of 3.  So you're consumables cost will double.  But the Z5400 and Z5600 both use 6 colors and 3 printheads and I think the results are close to the same.  These are older models so they use individual printheads (two colors/head) as opposed to most of the newer models that just use one printhead to cover all the colors.  The single printhead, in my opinion is a waste since they cost more than replacing just one printhead and have seating problems, in my experience.  You'll want to do some research.

The HP website can list all the specs for any particular printer you're  considering.  Go to: https://support.hp.com/us-en/printer and scroll down to enter the model number.

Bottom line, it comes down to what you consider "high quality art work".  
I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

HP doesn't list canvas paper on their list here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02840631

I've used a T795 to print photos and it does a very good job.  But keep in mind the "T" stands for technical so it's not optimized for doing photos.  You might look at the "Z" series.  For instance the older Z3200 specs lists these papers:

Media types
Photographic (satin, gloss, semi-gloss, matte, Baryte paper ), proofing (semi-gloss, high-gloss contract, semi-gloss contract, matte), fine art printing material (smooth, textured, watercolor, satin, aquarella, litho-realistic, canvas), self-adhesive (indoor, vinyl, polypropylene), banner and sign (display film, indoor banner, scrim, polypropylene, Tyvek, outdoor, billboard, PVC-free), bond and coated (bond, coated, heavyweight coated, super heavyweight plus matte, colored), technical (tracing, translucent bond, vellum), film (clear, matte, polyester), backlit, fabric/textile (flag, polyester, silk)  
Keep in mind, the Z3200 uses 12 colors instead of 6 and 6 printheads instead of 3.  So you're consumables cost will double.  But the Z5400 and Z5600 both use 6 colors and 3 printheads and I think the results are close to the same.  These are older models so they use individual printheads (two colors/head) as opposed to most of the newer models that just use one printhead to cover all the colors.  The single printhead, in my opinion is a waste since they cost more than replacing just one printhead and have seating problems, in my experience.  You'll want to do some research.

The HP website can list all the specs for any particular printer you're  considering.  Go to: https://support.hp.com/us-en/printer and scroll down to enter the model number.

Bottom line, it comes down to what you consider "high quality art work".  
I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thankyou so much for the reply this has been very helpful, much appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.