Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet Z6200 60-in Photo Printer

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with my company Plotter (Designjet Z6200).

last week, I have change the printhead (MK-R) due the end of warranty.

after change the printhead, printer doing printhead alignment, alignment is completed and no error founds. 

but the print result is shadowing, then I try to doing printhead alignment again. Unfortunately the printer can't doing some printhead alignment (failed scanning alignment pattern and stopping printing alignment pattern).

I have try to change with other newest printhead, cleaning encoder strip, cleaning printhead. 

but the problem still exists. 

can anyone help me about this matters ?

z6200_issue.jpg 

Arjuna SW.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here's a link to the service manual:

https://www.laserexpressinc.com/manuals/HP/hp-dsj-z6200-service-manual.pdf

This is usually caused by a dirty or bad line sensor.  If it's not working, it's not able to read the lines when it scans them.  This model puts off a lot of overspray, especially when doing a lot of solid color printing, and the sensor is subject to the overspray because it's so close to the printheads.  It's easy to change and readily available on Ebay or from HP Parts.  I would try cleaning it first (held in by one screw and a ribbon cable).  You have to remove the cover from the carriage to access the sensor.  The service manual will guide you.  I've changed these out in the past and the error goes away.  Be careful when replugging the cable.  It's easy to damage the end.  

Also, you might be able to do this without removing the large right side cover.  Unplug the printer and gently pull out the maintenance tray.  Then move the carriage to the center of the printer and see if that will let you access the carriage cover.  If not, then you may have to remove the right hand cover.  Not hard.  Need some torx head screwdrivers for the right hand cover and also to remove the sensor.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice.

as you say, the line sensor is bad. I'm doing some cleaning for the line sensor and so many ink splashes at sensor.
printer can doing printhead alignment and scanning pattern again after cleaning sensor.

But, unfortunately print result still bad (shadowed).

what should I do ?

many ink on Line Sensormany ink on Line Sensoralignment patternalignment patternbad print resultbad print result

Arjuna SW.
HP Recommended

Do you have a copy of the Owner's Manual?  If not, here's a link:

https://www.hpplotter.co.uk/sites/default/files/designjet_z6200_user_manual_1.pdf

There's a section in there called "Trouble Shooting Ink Quality Issues" and I believe it deals with the problem you're experiencing.

Also, could you post up a close up photo of a portion of the text page you posted?  Don't need to see the whole thing,  Just so we can get a good look at what it looks like and better see the problem.  It kinda' looks like an alignment problem but hard to tell for sure.  You might need to look in the Service Manual for some calibration tests of the ink system.

Let us know what happens.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

have the same problem if it is not to much trouble can you show me exactly where the line sensor is located i would really appreciate it, thanking you in advance for your time and help 

svahow

HP Recommended

sure, please see the line sensor located as the picture below.

ArjunaSatrio_0-1700117863137.png

the line sensor located at point number 3. 
line sensor tightened by 1 screw to carriage assy . before unscrew it, make sure to unplug the power source and open the right cover then remove the flexible cable connection from PCA board. Be careful for doing this, the component very small and vulnerable damaged.

Good luck.

Arjuna SW.
HP Recommended

I have doing all suggest at Owner's Manual and cleaning all sensors and calibrate it, but the problem still exists. 

I believe the carriage assy is the big issue for this, considering this printer has been operating by my company more than 5 years. Now, we consider looking for new carriage assy for fix this problem or purchase newest HP Plotter again.

Thank you for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it.

Arjuna SW.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.