Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Hi. 
just purchased a used Designjet Z5200 PS Photo 44” (CQ113A) its loaded with non hp print heads and ink , but I’m attempting to systematically go through all the diagnostics I can before getting it onto HP ink and print heads. I figure it’s better to burn through the cheap ink sorting as many problems out as I can . 
anyway U duly updated the firmware which was successful but regretted it when zi realised its reset all the calibration. lol . Have the user manual and service manual . 
image dramatically improved but not perfect , still have some banding . 
I am stuck at the print alignment . I have only 24” paper and A3 gloss sheets. And it throws an error 
is my problem that the diagnostic alignment will only perform running the full width of the bed - so I need either a roll of 42/44” glossy or the Print Head alignment kit ( seems impossible to obtain)  or will it complete on 24” paper once the print quality is good enough ? 
one last question . Running through Diagnostics it’s a PIA having to reboot every time to go to the next Disgnostics item . Is there any way around this ? 
many thanks 

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Don't think there's anyway around the constant rebooting.  At least, not any I've found.

What's the error code you're seeing?

Banding is probably coming from the remanufactured printheads.  Size of paper shouldn't make a difference.  But using the non-HP printheads can cause the banding you're seeing.  When doing image quality testing it's important to use genuine HP supplies.  The ink used for the tests is negligible.  Also, know that after replacing any of the printheads it will ask to do another printhead alignment so even if you get the banding solved now, when you do replace the printheads you'll be doing another alignment anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about completing the alignment now until you get the correct printheads installed.

If the other diagnostics turned out ok, I think you're on the way to having a very nice printer.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Don't think there's anyway around the constant rebooting.  At least, not any I've found.

What's the error code you're seeing?

Banding is probably coming from the remanufactured printheads.  Size of paper shouldn't make a difference.  But using the non-HP printheads can cause the banding you're seeing.  When doing image quality testing it's important to use genuine HP supplies.  The ink used for the tests is negligible.  Also, know that after replacing any of the printheads it will ask to do another printhead alignment so even if you get the banding solved now, when you do replace the printheads you'll be doing another alignment anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about completing the alignment now until you get the correct printheads installed.

If the other diagnostics turned out ok, I think you're on the way to having a very nice printer.

HP Recommended

Just to confirm, unit has to reset after each diagnostic. Truly a pain.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response . 
I agree . Using up the non non hp cartridges and print heads is a good way to learn about the foibles of the printer. Just waiting for a remaining couple of HP inks and print heads and I will do a full changeover . 

After hunting literally for hours I’ve ordered the advance paper calibration kit , as it’s a 44” and 24” sheet and the 44” is the only one that works on the z5200 to my knowledge ( and not cheap) I will wait until the go inks and print heads are well bedded in before using it . 
if anyone has experience of this process over and above the manuals I would appreciate it . 
cheers

Dave 

HP Recommended

Apologies. Error was 58.10. 
deltaE out of limits 

think this is the poor print quality - non Jo inks/ print head 

HP Recommended

As you probably already know, the 58:10 points to the Color Sensor (ESP) not getting the reading it needs.  Probably due to the banding of the printheads or quality of the after-market ink you're using.

Not familiar with the alignment kit you ordered.  Haven't had the need to use it.  Maybe other Z5200 owners can chime in on this.  

Good luck with the printer.  I have a Z5400 that I recently refurbished and use it for photo prints and it does a great job.  I think you'll really like the Z5200.  It will be well worth the costs incurred to keep it fed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.