Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a new HD foto / video camera and want -with the program Pinnacle-  create movie and burn this on Blu Ray for qualitity reasons.  Is it possible to add or replace a new Blu  Ray optical drive in the (extra) slot and do I need special drivers or so to do this?  Much appreciated with your assist. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Review page 9 in this manual.

Your PC is provisioned with two 5.25" bays so you should be able to install a second CD/DVD 5.25" optical drive.  Review the SATA ports on the motherboard and make sure that you have a spare SATA port.  W10 will install the required driver once the new drive is installed and the system is rebooted.

You will need a SATA data cable and possibly a SATA Y power cable if an extra spare SATA power connector is not available. Check closely to the existing power connector going to the existing optical drive.

After you remove the front bezel, you should be a "blank" slot slug. There is a narrow slot in it so insert a flt blade screwdriver into it and move the screwdriver up and down until the slug breaks away for the chassis.  Review this HP video.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Review page 9 in this manual.

Your PC is provisioned with two 5.25" bays so you should be able to install a second CD/DVD 5.25" optical drive.  Review the SATA ports on the motherboard and make sure that you have a spare SATA port.  W10 will install the required driver once the new drive is installed and the system is rebooted.

You will need a SATA data cable and possibly a SATA Y power cable if an extra spare SATA power connector is not available. Check closely to the existing power connector going to the existing optical drive.

After you remove the front bezel, you should be a "blank" slot slug. There is a narrow slot in it so insert a flt blade screwdriver into it and move the screwdriver up and down until the slug breaks away for the chassis.  Review this HP video.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

If I use an extended Blu Ray writer connected with an USB cable, does this the job also?

Thx again:-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.