Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 290 G1 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed a m.2 card in the m.2 slot and it wasn’t recognised by the bios or disk manager. 
I have a PCIe x4 adapter for m.2 PCIe drives that is working very well. 

EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card to PCIe 3.0 x 4 Adapter. 

Are both m.2 slots capable of working at the same time? I read somewhere that there is bandwidth capacity issue on this board. 
As the m.2 drive isn’t working, I wonder if I have inserted a sata m.2 by mistake. I’m reluctant to take the pc apart unless it can work with the adapter m.2 

Thanks for reading 

edited as I needed to clarify the two types of PCIe port on the board 

Patricia
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I installed another m.2 drive in the m.2 slot on the motherboard today. It was automatically recognized and disk manager offered to initialize it to GPT. 

The CrystalDiskMark score is relatively low for a NVME Express 1.4 drive. The PCiE attached drive is considerably faster despite being NVME Express 1.3. 

Both drives are functioning as storage only drives, with the OS on sata SSD. 

What is good to see is that there is no slowing down of the PCiE attached drive when the m.2 slot is occupied. as its speed test result is as before. 

I wonder what is preventing the drives from achieving their full potential? 

the pc is

HP 290 G1 SFF Business PC i5-8500 CPU @ 3.0GHz 16GB 500G ssd  Windows 10 Pro x64

Fanxiang m,2 is on the m.2 slot; ADATA m.2 is on PCIE x16 card.

I am on Windows 10 22H2, performance power profile but there is a HP driver update I have not yet tried -  Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) Firmware Update Intel SSD FW Rev.A 

HWiNFO.PNG

M2TB ssd sppedtest.PNG

PCiE ssd sppedtest2.PNG

Patricia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Patricia1066 

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to help you.

To understand the issue and help you, please share the details listed below:

- Exact full model name of your HP Product (if you need help, click here for information on how to find your model name).

Note: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Take care and have a good day.

Treeko

HP Support

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks @Treeko

the pc is

HP 290 G1 SFF Business PC i5-8500 CPU @ 3.0GHz 16GB 500G ssd  Windows 10 Pro x64

hope that is enough. 

Patricia
HP Recommended

I installed another m.2 drive in the m.2 slot on the motherboard today. It was automatically recognized and disk manager offered to initialize it to GPT. 

The CrystalDiskMark score is relatively low for a NVME Express 1.4 drive. The PCiE attached drive is considerably faster despite being NVME Express 1.3. 

Both drives are functioning as storage only drives, with the OS on sata SSD. 

What is good to see is that there is no slowing down of the PCiE attached drive when the m.2 slot is occupied. as its speed test result is as before. 

I wonder what is preventing the drives from achieving their full potential? 

the pc is

Fanxiang m,2 is on the m.2 slot; ADATA m.2 is on PCIE x16 card.

I am on Windows 10 22H2, performance power profile but there is a HP driver update I have not yet tried -  Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) Firmware Update Intel SSD FW Rev.A 

HWiNFO.PNG

M2TB ssd sppedtest.PNG

PCiE ssd sppedtest2.PNG

Patricia
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.