Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm wanting to have HDMI connection for television to watch videos and movies.  I purchased a GT 710 video card (Plug and Play), Inserted it into the PCI Express x 16 2.0 slot on motherboard, connected the monitor and tv and there was no video.  I disconnected the cables and connected the vga to on-board output, no video.  I powered down, removed the video card and started up PC, there was video.  I downloaded the drivers for the video card, tried to install and the installation stopped, stated no video card found.  So again I tried the above steps and no video on monitor (connecting to either Graphic Output Card/On-Board).  So Now, I go into UEFI/BIOS, there is no options for video (Except under Advanced > Bus Options > PCI SERR# Generation (Enable/Disable) and/or PCI VGA Palette Snooping (Enable/Disable).  There are hidden feature for the UEFI/BIOS and I do not know how to access then to be able to disable the On-Board Video and to select PCI Express x !6 2.0 as video source.  I've performed System Diagnostics and the Motherboard is functioning properly, so it has to be in the UEFI/BIOS that the Video Card is being blocked.  F.Y.I. all Device Drivers, UEFI/BIOS & Windows 10 have been update to the most current versions.

Has anybody else run into this problen with adding a Video Card to the PCIe slot on the Pav 500-214?

Any solutions?

Thank you,

RJPaul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I took the GT 710 graphic/video card back to best buy, I think it might have been a returned item. While there and after talking to Nvidia, they suggested a GT 1030. So I purchased that graphic/video card and came home. I then tried to install the new GT 1030 card and nothing. I went through all the steps as before. Finally it came to me to try an old solution to a new problem. Sending to my solution for installing video cards in HP PC's https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Installing-GT-1030-on-Pavilion-... I hope that this can help many of you out there that have been fight this upgrade. Luck to you, RJPaul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@RJPaul,

Your being blocked by Secure Boot. Please revert back to the original display.

The link provided explains what is happening, and why. Disable Secure Boot, see here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi Provost,

I guess I failed to mention that I have performed the Disable Secure Boot and Enable Legacy in Bios.  Did the whole F10 and Entered the Pin #.  It still didn't recognize the GT 710 Video card.  Best Buy Geek Squads Keeps telling me that this Video Card (GT 710) is compatible With this PC (HP Pavilion 500-214).  I complies with the Specs. of 300W PSU, PCI Express x 16 2.0, Windows 10 64-bit, etc...

I was even up until 3am with NVidia Online Tech Support.  They stated that the GT 710 meets all the requirements for this PC.  They blame the Motherboard or HP UEFI/BIOS (That is why I performed (F2) Hardware Diagnostics @ POST). 

I know that there are hidden BIOS features to manually add this video card and disengage the onboard.  I just don't know how to unhide these feature in BIOS.

Also asked if there was a list of video cards that have been proven to work with this Motherboard?

Thank you,

RJPaul

HP Recommended

I never said anything about the BIOS level (UEFI or Legacy).  You made that change on your own !!!

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi Provost,

So (only) disable the secure boot & leave Legacy Support Disabled?

LOL, I was following the complete guide instructions on that post.  That is why I selected to Enable Legacy Suport (as per the Guide Instructions).

I will give this a try and see if it works.  It would be nice to have HDMI.

If this does work and after installing the Video card loading drivers and making sure that it works correctly, Can I go back into Secure Boot and Enable it and everything will work safely and protected?

Thank you,

RJPaul

HP Recommended

Hi Provost,

If you were not referring to the (UEFI/BIOS level) Secure Boot, what level of Secure Boot were you referring to?

The Guide for Secure Boot refers to UEFI/BIOS (Enable/Disable), I didn't see any other level/options for Secure Boot.

Is there a Windows Option for Secure Boot to accept new Hardware?

Thank You,

RJPaul

HP Recommended
I took the GT 710 graphic/video card back to best buy, I think it might have been a returned item. While there and after talking to Nvidia, they suggested a GT 1030. So I purchased that graphic/video card and came home. I then tried to install the new GT 1030 card and nothing. I went through all the steps as before. Finally it came to me to try an old solution to a new problem. Sending to my solution for installing video cards in HP PC's https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Installing-GT-1030-on-Pavilion-... I hope that this can help many of you out there that have been fight this upgrade. Luck to you, RJPaul
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.