Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP tower desk top USB keyboard

Hi There,

How do I  turn the num lock on. There is no key on my new keyboard to do this and I do not have a touch screen function. It's driving me crazy, because nothing happens when I type the keypad numbers! It must  be easy once you know! Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

What is the HP part-number (on the label on the bottom of the keyboard) ?

Or, use your smart-phone to take a picture of the part of the keyboard to the right of both the 'F12' and the 'ENTER" keys, and post that picture into this forum.

HP Recommended

20181010_192920_resized (1).jpg

HP Recommended

Here is the front of the keyboard in question.

keyboard.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi there did you receive my photos? Do you know the solution?

thanks in advance

Becky

HP Recommended

Photos posted to this forum require the forum's moderator to approve that the pictures are "Suitable For Work", i.e., viewing of them is delayed a short time.

The top-left corner of the "numeric-pad" of my standard keyboard looks like this:

+------+----+

| Num  | /  |

| Lock |    |

+------+----+

| 7    | 8  |

| Home | Up |

+------+----+

Your posted image shows an "icon", instead of the words "Num Lock", at that position.

What happens when you press that key?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Ok happy to wait until you can see the photos. In the meantime is there anything else I can tellyou?

HP Recommended

some bios's allow you to control/set the default state of the keyboard numlock to the desired state, check your bios to see if it offers that option

HP Recommended

HOW DO I DO THAT?

HP Recommended

@Ozbecky wrote:

HOW DO I DO THAT?

Please do not "over-complicate" this.

The top-left corner of the "numeric-pad" of my standard keyboard looks like this:

+------+----+

| Num  | /  |

| Lock |    |

+------+----+

| 7    | 8  |

| Home | Up |

+------+----+

Your posted image of your numeric pad shows an "icon", where my keyboard shows the words "Num Lock", at that position.

On closer inspection of your posted image, your keyboard is quite different from mine.

The bottom row of my keyboard has:

• CTRL
  • Windows key
  • ALT
  • space-bar
  • ALT
  • Windows key
  • "context" key (like pressing the 2nd mouse-button)
  • CTRL

Your image shows *NO* "context" key in your bottom row.

Instead, your image shows that your "context" key is where my "NUM LOCK" key is located.

Also, your keypad only shows one label per key, while my keyboard has "7/Home" then "8/UpArrow" then "9/PgUp".  I must use "NUM LOCK" when choosing between "7" and "Home".

So, your numeric pad is *STRICTLY* a numeric pad, with just ONE label per key.

Your "Home" and "PgUp" keys are placed elsewhere on your keyboard -- not "superimposed" on the numeric-pad keys.

So, I do not understand why your numeric pad does not *ALWAYS* function as a numeric pad ?!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.