Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 G5 SFF

Hello everyone, I'm interested in trying to put a low profile Gigabyte RTX 4060 GPU in an HP Z2 G5 SFF workstation (with i7-10700 CPU). The main problems I have are the power requirements and 8-pin connector on the GPU. From what I can tell, this PC is compatible with a 450W PSU (L80890-003), but it doesn't have the right connectors for the GPU (only one extra 4-pin connector).

Does anyone know of another 400W range or higher PSU compatible with this workstation that would be able to power this GPU.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Tominator99,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

With the 450 watt power supply you referenced, given that the TDP of a low profile RTX 4060, such as this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-rtx-4060-low-profile-oc.b11375, is only 115 watt, of which up to 75 watt can be provided by your PCIe x16 slot, I would suggest to use a 15-pin Dual SATA Male to 8-pin Female power supply adapter cable, such as this purchase example: https://www.amazon.com/PCI-Cable-15-pin-Express-Adapter/dp/B07FK8SJTV/ref=sr_1_4?crid=O03LRFQZYY6M&k....

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777

Hello, and thanks for the reply! I ended up already ordering the 500W PSU before your post, but I wanted to give an update that everything fits and is working.

As an aside, I noticed from your history you seem to have quite a bit of experience putting together builds like these. I was curious if you had any ideas to improve cooling that would fit, since everything in my case is getting quite hot with the basic stock coolers currently. Here's a picture of the current setup.

IMG_20231221_013946722.jpg

HP Recommended

@Tominator99,

Yes, improving the airflow in your case is highly recommended!

Your HP Z2 G5 SFF is very similar in nature with my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF upgrade project:

NonSequitur777_1-1703174347245.png

Based on your current setup, I would suggest adding two cooling fans to your case: one on top of your upper desk panel just above the CPU heatsink cooler air intake fan blowing air down (in) your case, and one cooling fan externally on the back panel, assisting the CPU heatsink cooling fan blowing air out your case:

NonSequitur777_0-1703174051076.png

[EDIT:] You'll have to ascertain what size () cooling fans (70mm/80mm/90mm) is/are the best fit for your case.

Each case is different.  For example, here is my HP ProDesk 600 G3 (later G4) MT upgrade project:

NonSequitur777_2-1703174648992.png

Depending on if your motherboard has a secondary PWM 4-pin cooling fan connector, you can power these two additional cooling fans using a 1-to-2 PWM splitter cable, or if absent, use a 1-to-3 PWM splitter cable using your CPU PWM 4-pin cooling fan connector.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! That's an interesting idea. For aesthetic purposes I was kind of hoping to avoid cutting any holes in the case, but given how bad its airflow is by default I might have to do that. Do you have any idea if your proposal would help the GPU (it's also been getting about 90° C)? The fans on it face left, so you can see it's kind of isolated on the left side there with very little space between it and the PSU. Would there need to be another hole for it as well?

HP Recommended

@Tominator99,

You are very welcome.

First, your HP Z2 G5 SFF motherboard, in addition to the "CPUFAN" 4-pin PWM connector, has two additional PWM 4-pin fan connectors, labelled "CHFAN[1]" and "CHFAN2":

NonSequitur777_0-1703207340444.png

This is very good, because you are correct: you definitely need extra air going in your case given your GPU temps.

I'd suggest installing a third cooling fan (#3) to provide air (blowing down) for your graphics card dual fan intake on top of your case:

NonSequitur777_1-1703207563701.png

Yea, this is sort of a pain, but it will make a significant difference!  If you go this path, please be careful.  Know what you are doing. Use PPE such as safety glasses.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.