Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have 8gb RAM installed but only 2.94 is showing as usable.  I recently upgraded from 4gb to 8gb and the usable gb was 2.94 (I think) then.  Adding an extra 4gb has made no difference it would appear.  Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No.

You cannot do an in-place upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system, no matter what version of Windows you have.

You must clean install the 64 bit operating system and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you don't want to do that, then you will have to live with your current situation.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

In order for Windows to 'see and use' more than 4 GB, you have to be running a 64 bit operating system.

32 GB operating systems only support a max of 4 GB.

You can go back and clean install W10 64 bit by making W10 64 bit installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

You will need another PC running a 64 bit operating system in order to do that.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

You will need to reinstall all of your programs and files.

HP Recommended

If I upgrade to windows 11 will it allow me to choose a 64 bit operating system?

HP Recommended

No.

You cannot do an in-place upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system, no matter what version of Windows you have.

You must clean install the 64 bit operating system and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you don't want to do that, then you will have to live with your current situation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.