Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z840

hi,

I've recently acquired MSI rtx 2080 ti gaming x trio graphic card and I plan to install it in my HP z840 workstation.

Graphic card has two 8-pin and one 6-pin power connectors, and it requires 300W. 

Workstation has 1125W power supply with three 6-pin power connectors. 

How to connect this card to a HP z840 power supply and what type of PCIe power adapters do I need to make this work?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Watch the video. It should answer all of your questions. There is a link to a written hardware upgrade guide as well.

The EVGA card has the same PCIe connector requirements as the one you are considering for your own MSI video card upgrade,

https://youtu.be/YIJFQ6-ygQ8

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Enrico,

thanks for your reply.

There is a difference: EVGA card has two 8 pin connectors, msi rtx 2080 ti gaming x trio has two 8 pin connectors and one 6 pin connector.

HP Recommended

You should still be able to find adapter/extender cables with the existing power connection connectors that will allow you to use the  msi rtx 2080 ti gaming x trio.

There is a section with hyperlinks for the extender/adapters that you need at the greenpcgamers.com website specifically for your PC.

requiredAdapters.jpg

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Tried to connect card with two 6 pin female to 8 pin male adapters and 6 pin male and I'm getting 4 beeps error - 

Power failure (power supply is overloaded). Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Which PCIe x16 slot did you use?  

Are you able to test the video card in another PC to ensure that it is working?

The msi rtx 2080 ti is reported as working, but I am not having any success finding a working setup of the MSI RTX 2080 ti gaming x trio.

At this point, short of considering the upgraded PSU solution, I am about out of suggestions. I said considering,  but not recommending the extra expense. The original 850 W PSU ahould have been able to handle the video, but HP workstations are notoriously finicky when it comes to upgrades.

https://www.newegg.com/hp-641329915783/p/2AN-000V-00GT8  

I just took a read in the forum of an older thread worth your time. It makes the recommendation of using only HP adapters and also upgrading to the 1125 PSU. There are good discussions of the reasons for the suggestions in the thread.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z840-with-850W-...

HP Recommended

Hi Enrico,

already have 1125W PSU, brand spanking new, used hp cables to connect, even pulled out some of components to see if power consumption is the issue here. Tried both PCIe3 x16 slots. No success.

I've ordered two 6 pin to 8 pin cable to test connection that you've suggested. After that I'm out of ideas... I'll let you know how this goes.

Again thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Great! 

I will be looking forward to your next post.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately no success... I'm done... I'm selling this card.

Thanks for help.

HP Recommended

OK.

It is sad that it did not work.

It was my pleasure helping you try to resolve the upgrade issue. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.