Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Eiltedesk 705 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was going to open a request through support, but apparently I can't open a request since only 705 G1/G2 units are listed.  That said, I know this is a fairly new product, and I'm hopeful there may be someone out there that has experienced this issue.  I've configured a number of Elitedesk 800 G1/G2 units with RAID (Intel) with absolutely no issues.  This new 705 G3 is starting to become a challenge.

Before I get started, I have one recommendation.  In my configuration, I could only plug SSDs into SATA0 and SATA1 on the motherboard.  If I used SATA 2 for a SSD, the RAID controller would not see the drive.  SATA0/1 with an SSDs attached and SATA2 with the DVD works without issue.  I only mention that in case you have yet to attempt this.

Here is my issue:  I have the BIOS/UEFI configured for RAID.  I'm able to go into the RAID configuration and initialize the drives, and configure the array.  I'm able to boot from a bootable USB drive and run the Windows 10 installation.  Then I run into a brick wall - there are no drives available to install to.  Of course, the issue must be that the driver isn't available (this was predictable), and I had already downloaded the AMD RAID driver from the HP support site (for the HP 705 G3 SFF), and loaded onto the USB drive.   When I tell it to load the available drivers, it has the "Hide incompatible drivers..." option checked and no drivers display.  If I unclick that I see the AMD RAID drivers, of course, loading any / all that are listing has no impact.

If I go into the BIOS and disable RAID (obviously not what I want to do), and I let the machine start, I do indeed see the two separate drives.  Once I re-enable RAID in BIOS, the AMD RAID configuration tool it indicates the RAID array is ready, but once I get to available drives in Windows 10 setup, there is nothing there.

I'm hopeful someone else has encountered this and can share your advice - it would be much appreciated.  For now, the machine sets, so I can try any suggestions.  I've been through about 10 attempts with different settings, USB sticks formatted differently (MBR/GPT), BIOS settings, deleted/recreated array, etc.).  I'm hopeful I'm missing something small - perhaps something in the 705 G2 line that someone else has experienced.

Thank you for your time and any assistance you might be able to provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After a lot of attempts, I finally got this to work.  The key is in the AMD Chipset package (from AMD, not HP).  The only drivers required are both RAID drivers (but in this pacakage).  Here is what I would recommend you do:

1) Download the latest Chipset drivers from AMD's website (amd-chipset-drivers.exe)

2) Install the file (to get the extracted files) or use a program like 7-zip to extract the files

3) Find the following folders and copy them to a USB Drive:

amd-chipset-drivers\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\RAID_BR\RAID_driver\WT64A (AMD RAID BOTTOM DRIVER)

amd-chipset-drivers\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\RAID_TR\RAID_driver\WT64A (AMD RAID CONTROLLER)

4) During Windows 10 installation, install those in the order above.  Your previously missing RAID configured drive will now be available.

5) Install the AMD Chipset Driver package after installation, it will update all of the missing devices/drivers.  One exception is the Graphics driver, use either the AMD

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.  Just to note, this was in relation to the HP Elitedesk 705 G3 Ryzen Pro 7 SFF, installing Windows 10 Pro, in a RAID 1 configuration.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@msutton

More information is required.  Make, model and size of SSDs are needed.

Where and when did you get the W10 installation media?  I suggest that you download the latest W10 from MS and use that media installation level.

You might need to first load the AMD chipset driver before loading the SATA driver.

Obviously W10 is not going to install unless the RAID array is recognized using the custom install option.

The HP Elitedesk 705 G3 SFF wasn't offered by HP as a configurable option from the information that I have reviewed.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  The drives are:  Samsung 850 Pro 1TB

Media is from MSDN, latest version downloaded.   I'm with you on the "obviously" comment.  Everything leading up to that point in the installer looks good - I just can't get it to load the driver. 

I did just download the chipset driver (version: 5.12.0.0031 Rev.A).  I loaded the GPIO, PSP, SMBUS drivers (they showed up as valid for the machine).  Then I tried loading the RAID driver, there was no effect, still no drives are available.

HP Recommended

I think I'm onto what is wrong.  It isn't that I'm missing something obvious, it is that something that is supposed to be there isn't.   I've been through both Legacy and UEFI modes to review the RAID configuration.  While I can see the drives, initialize them, and create a RAID 1 array - I never get the option to create a logical drive.   I don't mean that it is grayed out - it just isn't there.  All indications are that everything is good from a RAID config standpoint - with the exception of that final step. Is anyone aware of what I might be missing.  Version of the RAID firmware is:  7.2.0-0043

HP Recommended

@msutton

If the BIOS RAID function created the physical array then Windows will create the logical drive based on the created RAID array but only if Windows discovers the physical array.

We still don't know which version and level of W10 you are using.:smileysurprised:

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Sorry Big_Dave, unintentional oversight.  it will ultimately be Windows 10 Pro, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  Here is the ISO file name (direct from MSDN):

en_windows_10_multi-edition_version_1709_updated_sept_2017_x64_dvd_100090817.iso

I'm following what you are saying and it isn't as if I've never had to load a driver at the time of installation.  That said, that previous experience appears not to apply here.  Do you have any advice on what I may be missing beyond the drivers I loaded.

For the heck of it, I also tried the latest release of Windows Server 2016 (just to see if it hit the same issue), same result.

Thanks again for your help - if you have any addtional thoughts, please share.

HP Recommended

Hi,

We still don't know the make, model and size of the SSDs that you are using.Smiley Surprised

HP Recommended

That one I did give you in an earlier response:  Samsung 850 Pro 1TB

Also - I do have a support case opened as well.  No response as of yet, but hopefully something that I we can resolve identify.  I think you are on the right path with the Chipset drivers, I just haven't had luck getting them to work (so I must still be missing something).

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

After a lot of attempts, I finally got this to work.  The key is in the AMD Chipset package (from AMD, not HP).  The only drivers required are both RAID drivers (but in this pacakage).  Here is what I would recommend you do:

1) Download the latest Chipset drivers from AMD's website (amd-chipset-drivers.exe)

2) Install the file (to get the extracted files) or use a program like 7-zip to extract the files

3) Find the following folders and copy them to a USB Drive:

amd-chipset-drivers\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\RAID_BR\RAID_driver\WT64A (AMD RAID BOTTOM DRIVER)

amd-chipset-drivers\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\RAID_TR\RAID_driver\WT64A (AMD RAID CONTROLLER)

4) During Windows 10 installation, install those in the order above.  Your previously missing RAID configured drive will now be available.

5) Install the AMD Chipset Driver package after installation, it will update all of the missing devices/drivers.  One exception is the Graphics driver, use either the AMD

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.  Just to note, this was in relation to the HP Elitedesk 705 G3 Ryzen Pro 7 SFF, installing Windows 10 Pro, in a RAID 1 configuration.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.