Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-23-p027c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion 23-23-p027c all-in-one system with an intel processor. The Critical Security Bulletin - Sep 28 2018

(HPSBHF03593 rev. 1 - Firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) for Select AMD Client Systems (c06154544)) references AMD client systems.

I have an Intel processor. Does this apply to me? The preperation for the update is complicated enough that I dont want to do it and see a message stating this does not apply to my system.

Thank you.

William Salmonsen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Short answer: NO, since AMD and INTEL are competitors.

Reference: HPSBHF03593 rev. 1 - Firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) for Select AMD Client Systems

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Short answer: NO, since AMD and INTEL are competitors.

Reference: HPSBHF03593 rev. 1 - Firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) for Select AMD Client Systems

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

I have desktop 550-140T with Intel processor  

Tried to get in touch with support but says they are down. 
Does this same critial update (HPSBHF03593 rev. 1 - Firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) for Select AMD Client Systems (c06154544)) references AMD client systems.  

effect me? 

I tried to follow directions on it but only got something saying Ctp module cannot be found. 

HP Recommended

@Nancy-1 wrote:

I have desktop 550-140T with Intel processor.

Does this same critiCal update ... for select AMD procesors ... Affect me? 

Same answer: NO, because you have an INTEL processor, not an AMD processor.

HP Recommended

That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Thank you.

HP Recommended

That was my reasoning. However I thought HP might have different model numbers if there were different CPUs on the mother board. Also, AMD makes more chips than CPUs so it it still migt have been relevant. Would have been nice if they had said it id not apply to PCs with Intel processors.

HP Recommended

> Would have been nice if they had said it id not apply to PCs with Intel processors.

There are many computers for which that update does not apply, even including some with AMD processors.

Example: some Apple computers have Intel processors, and some users "wipe" the Apple Operating System, and install Windows.

So, do you think that HP should have listed such a "bastardization" as being "not vulnerable" ?

In pseudo-code, assuming that the function:  Position(needle,haystack) 

exists, and returns '0' when the "needle" is not found,

or returns a positive number when the "needle" is found,

If Position(Processor_Type(),'AMD') > 0 then ,

Then If Position(Processor_model(), full_list_of_vulnerable_models) > 0 ,

Then Say 'Your AMD processor is vulnerable';

Else Say 'Your AMD processor is not vulnerable';

Else Say 'Your non-AMD processor is not vulnerable';

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.