Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion500-424

When I turned on computer i got a hard disk error.  When I go to diagnostics it says tests aren’t loaded, but I can’t load them if I can’t get the computer to run. How can I get past this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> how can I get past this?

Not easily, if at all.  :Crying:

There is no way to use "software" to repair your "hardware" problem.

You already have been told that your disk-drive is in "imminent failure" status. 

Running any more tests will only confirm that diagnosis, and give you more-specific details about the failure.

Compare to your automobile's engine running "roughly".

You need to get an auto mechanic to fix it, by swapping hardware (spark plugs, fuel injectors, coil, electronics).

Do you really care (other than the price-tag for new parts & for labour) "how" (s)he fixed it?

Your only solution is to purchase a replacement disk-drive, and install Windows onto it.

Then, connect the current disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive, and, hopefully, you will be able to copy your personal files from "old" to "new".

What model-number is your computer?

Knowing this will give us details on how to obtain a copy of the "Windows Installer" specific to your computer.

P.S. Is the HP warranty still valid?  If so, then exercise the warranty, to get HP to replace the disk-drive, at no cost to you.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

> how can I get past this?

Not easily, if at all.  :Crying:

There is no way to use "software" to repair your "hardware" problem.

You already have been told that your disk-drive is in "imminent failure" status. 

Running any more tests will only confirm that diagnosis, and give you more-specific details about the failure.

Compare to your automobile's engine running "roughly".

You need to get an auto mechanic to fix it, by swapping hardware (spark plugs, fuel injectors, coil, electronics).

Do you really care (other than the price-tag for new parts & for labour) "how" (s)he fixed it?

Your only solution is to purchase a replacement disk-drive, and install Windows onto it.

Then, connect the current disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive, and, hopefully, you will be able to copy your personal files from "old" to "new".

What model-number is your computer?

Knowing this will give us details on how to obtain a copy of the "Windows Installer" specific to your computer.

P.S. Is the HP warranty still valid?  If so, then exercise the warranty, to get HP to replace the disk-drive, at no cost to you.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I went ahead and took it to the mechanic as it was above my abilities 

HP Recommended

I recently have the same problem. It happened on my HP Pavillion 500-164. I've already bought a new HDD, but now I can't figure out for the life of me how to get windows reinstalled. Tried making a recovery media from my other HP, but when i try booting it up it tells me "The System Recovery Media does not support this computer". :HalfEyes: Remember back in the day computer companies gave you a recovery cd/dvd :TongueOut:

HP Recommended

> disk (3F1)    

Since that string ends with a '1', get the technician to check that the "data" cable from the disk-drive is connected to the SECOND port on the motherboard.

If it connected to the FIRST port on the motherboard, namely '3F0', your computer may have a small solid-state device connected to the '3F1' port, and it's that S.S.D. that may have "failed", not your disk-drive.

HP Recommended

@Sinny wrote:

I recently have the same problem. It happened on my HP Pavilion 500-164. I've already bought a new HDD, but now I can't figure out for the life of me how to get windows reinstalled. Tried making a recovery media from my other HP, but when i try booting it up it tells me "The System Recovery Media does not support this computer". 

Remember back in the day computer companies gave you a recovery cd/dvd

Sinny, you should have created your own question.

If your computer was running Windows 8, there was a program on your computer to create your own "System Recovery Set" (either onto a 16GB USB memory-stick, or "burning" onto a few DVD-recordable disks).  Did you run it?

If your computer was running Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, access:

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads for: HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop PC

to see:

Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB

USB - Windows 8 64-bit Recovery Kit
System Recovery Kit for Consumer Desktop
Order Media
N/A
N/A
Mar 8, 2016

to purchase a copy for your model.

Note that this is Windows '8.0' -- run Windows Update for the free upgrade to '8.1'.

Or, if your computer was running Windows 10, you were granted a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, at any time, at no cost to you, onto the same computer.

See:   https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

to download Windows 10 (1709 - Fall Creators Update), and to create the "Installation Media" that you will "boot" onto your computer.

When installing, when prompted to enter the 25-character product-key, click "I do not have one".

Windows will finish the installation, and, if connected to the Internet, will leverage your entitlement to "activate" automatically.

Then, run Windows Update.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

d85ea0c6-7fb7-4178-90ec-87bbf1fe9f58.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.