Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a HP p6520y we recently purchased that is giving various errors that I do not understand. They are listed below and any help would be greatly appreciated. This was purchased new and has the Windows 7 64bit system and needless to say I have no clue what I should do about these errors.

1AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/10/11 21:16:26Task 30 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x0612800 (Length 0x8)
2AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/10/02 14:52:36Task b0 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x0c24f00 (Length 0x0)
3AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/10/02 14:41:58Task e7 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x00 (Length 0x0)
4AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/09/29 21:59:33Task 30 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x03e8d0 (Length 0x1)
5AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/09/29 11:57:30Task 30 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x0685318 (Length 0x10)
6AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/09/25 04:25:30Task 30 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x0612808 (Length 0x8)
7AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/09/24 16:27:01Task b0 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x0c24f00 (Length 0x0)
8AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/09/23 16:17:52Task 30 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x0622ad0 (Length 0x20)
9AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/09/23 09:34:21Task 30 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x09a9b8 (Length 0x8)
10AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/09/02 17:59:13Task e7 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x00 (Length 0x0)
11AMD Chipset SATA Controller - Controller 1Warning2010/08/31 00:40:05Task 20 timeout on disk (Port Number 1,Target ID 1) at LBA 0x0274f371 (Length 0x1)
18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem today, and my computer is an hpe235f. It is less than 2 weeks in my hands! I have researched. Raid is a file management system. It is actually software on your computer (if you kept it). Perhaps it is just a timeout in file organizing or something. Still, I am interested to know where the error messages took you, since you have owned your computer (assuming you still do) for a few more months than me. I contacted AMD, and I am waiting to find out what to do. I have also heard that you dont even need to use RAID! It is just a way to store data on the hard drive. There is supposed to be a way to completely disable it -supposedly it doesnt even hurt your system...

HP Recommended

Hello mrs_K,  Raid is a hard drive setup, where two or more hard drves can be configured to operate together as a single hard drive as seen by the operating system, which is called a Raid0 array. The operating system reads and writes to both these hard drives at the same time, with different data from the operating system and other applications. The purpose for a Raid0 array is performance. The other Raid array that HP uses on some systems is a Raid1 array. The Raid1 array has two hard drives that are written and read with the same data on each drive. This Raid1 array is used incase one hard drive were to fail, it could be changed and the new hard drive would be rebuilt with the data from the second drive in the Raid1 array. The Raid1 is more secure than the Raid0 array. If a hard drive fails in a Raid0 array, the data on both hard drives would be lost. If you break (delete) a Raid array, all the data on all the hard drives will be lost. If you are having issues with a Raid array, I would suggest you make sure you have all your data backed up to insure if the Raid array fails, you will have a current backup and would not lose all the data on your system.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have an HP e9220y . I bought this computer Jan 2010, and have been getting these warnings (at least 5 or 6 a day) since day one.

I dont know what it means, I only have one hard drive, but other than these warnings that pop up, everything has worked fine. Researching this, it seems that a lot of other people have this problem. Can anyone come up with a solution for this? At least explain what it means.  Any AMD RAIDXpert gurus out there ??

HP Recommended

beast wrote:I have an HP e9220y . I bought this computer Jan 2010, and have been getting these warnings (at least 5 or 6 a day) since day one. I dont know what it means, I only have one hard drive, but other than these warnings that pop up, everything has worked fine. Researching this, it seems that a lot of other people have this problem. Can anyone come up with a solution for this? At least explain what it means.  Any AMD RAIDXpert gurus out there ??

Hello beast, First let me say I know nothing about the AMD RAIDXpert.

However, I did check the specifications for your system and it shows it most likely was shipped with one hard drive as you suggest.

The motherboard also has the AMD 785G chipset wich includes the RAIDXpert capability.  Here  is the link for the specifications for the AMD 785G chipset where you can see in the information page at the bottom, a reference to the AMD RAIDXpert feature.

Since the drivers for this chipset are installed, the AMD RAIDExpert drivers would most likely be installed as well, in the driver package.

It may be possible to go to the Control Panel, Device Manager, and look for the AMD RAIDXpert listing and disable this feature, and rid yourself of this message. As I mentioned earlier, since I have no experience with the AMD RAIDExpert feature, this would just be a guess, but may be worth trying.

If you can just disable the AMD RAIDExpert, and make sure the system works normally, you might not need to remove it.

Just some thoughts.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. There is nothing in device manager that adresses this. There is an AMD program (via all programs)  that is used to set up for arrays etc, but I would not mess with this unless I knew exactly what I was doing. But it seems that there are hundreds if not thousands of computers out there that have this problem. I'm not sure if it's really a problem, more like just an annoyance.

I can see that it's something that's used with multiple hard drives, but with only one drive, I just don't get it why HP or AMD can't come out with some sort of bulletin or notice that says for instance "ok people with one hard drive..  you are getting false errors, you dont need this nonsense, here how to fix it."    I JUST GOT ONE OF THESE STUPID WARNINGS (TIMEOUT ETC ETC)  AS I TYPE THIS.  Researching this on line, there is a lot of folks out there who are concerned that a hard drive is failing.  Come on HP/AMD some direction please !!   

HP Recommended

Hello beast, I did a little research on the AMD RAIDExpert Utility and it seems it is an application that allows remote configuring of a Raid array.

As you suggested, there seems to be many users that are experiencing these messages.

You might try going to the Start Orb, and in the run box, type msconfig, and in the Startup Tab, look for a listing that refers to the AMD RAIDXpert or something much like this, uncheck this box, select Apply and close the Window.

You will get another Window that has a tab to Restart and one that says Restart Later. Select the Restart Later tab, and close the Window.

Then go to the Start Orb and select to Log off, and the system will log off and restart where you will be required to click to continue to the desktop. Another small Winow will appear and in the lower left corner will be a small check box where you should place a check mark for this Window to not appear again when the system boots to the desktop.

This may or may not work, but just something to try.

HP Recommended

I am also getting this error message (and some other ones too). I called HP support and they said they do not support RAID "drives." I then called HP sales and they said I do not have RAID on my specific machine configuraiton. They each wanted to know if I had opened the box and changed anything, which I have not. So, I guess I'll go through the whole cycle again and call support again...

Additionally, I was assuming the orange/warning disc drive light on the front of the box means (potential) trouble, and is from these RAID errors, but is not documented in any of the HP docs. Am I right/wrong?

Any suggestions?

I'd at least like to know how to get the error messages to last longer so I can get a screen schot. Support says these messages are not logged. I'm getting a second error, in which the message is rather long.

Thanks!

HP Recommended
I'm posting a reply to my post... HP Support is telling me that the AMD Phenom II X6 chip only supports one logical volume on the machine and that I will continue to receive RAID errors/messages until I reformat all physical drives (after the first) into one logical partition. If this is a processor function, then I do not understand the chip! I will go read the spec. Meanwhile, if someone wants to enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.
HP Recommended

I was getting the same timeout messages. I found the AMD Raid XPRT driver under device manager --> storage controllers. I tried updating the driver, but it was the most recent one. Then I rolled back the driver to a previous version, that didn't help. I rebooted and went into BIOS Settings and changed the SATA from RAID to AHCI. When I rebooted into Windows 7, I see a message saying AMD SATA driver installed. No more timeout messages. My system drive is WD VelociRaptor 300 GB 10000 RPM and was the LD when I was using RAID. My other drive is WD Black Caviar 1TB and was set as a simple drive using RAID. I had added the Black Caviar as a drive to store data. Now AMD Raid XPRT doesn't show up under device manager --> storage controllers. Hurray! And my 2 disk drives now show up under device manager --> disk drives as SATA disk devices. Back to simplicity.  I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1090t processor. That didn't cause the problem. Nor did I have to reformat either of my disks and that was due my not having the disks set to RAID(0). 

Larry

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.