cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DavidS62
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

BIOHD-3 Error was BIOHD-1

HP Recommended
TouchSmart 610-1180QD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The abbreviated story....Desktop crashed due to either MS updates or Flash Player download issue or both.

At first the bios showed BIOHD-1 error. Had to reset windows 10 (keep documents option). 

Was finally able to get desktop running & stable. 

After spending about an hour with Microsoft, they said the Activation Key is permanently gone....sigh.

Also, I now have "No Audio Output Device is Installed".

Anyway, I installed Office 2010 with no issues and installed all of the updates. Still runs fine.

Set it to run chkdsk during startup. No issues found.

Tested Intel CPU with their diagnostic tool. Passed all tests.

Now the bios error is BIOHD-3. The good(?) thing is that the machine runs fine.

The only place the error shows up is in the bios when you hold the ESC key at startup and hit F2.

I have not checked the hard drive cable connections yet.

Is it just a matter of time before it crashes again?

What options do I have?

Thanks for your help,

David

13 REPLIES 13
DavidS62
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update from the initial post:

The Activation Key has been automatically set.

There was a post on another website which said it could take a few hours to a few days for the Activation Key to be automatically accepted. This took almost four days. I still do not know what the key is though.

One down two to go! 

David

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SDF15
Retired
Retired
5,851 1,562 351 391
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @DavidS62,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you are having an issue with the BIOS, and wanted to assist you!

Are you still receiving the BIOHD-3 error?  It seems like the desktop may not be able to detect the Hard Drive.  Have you tried testing the hardware for failure?  Try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes: 

HP Desktop PCs - Hard Drive Failure Errors: Imminent Failure, Smart, BIOHD, HD535, etc

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
DavidS62
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SDF15,

I hit F2 at boot up. The only issue was the boot test failed with error code BIOHD3

Warning: No active partitions

Suggestion: Please perform a System Recovery

Suggestion: Please contact HP Support

After rebooting I ran the defrag:

Drive C was 1% fragmented (took about 30 seconds to analyze)

After defrag it went down to 0%.

Recovery drive 0% fragmented (took about 1 second to analyze.

Also there is no letter associated with the drive. Seems odd.)

BIOHD3 error is still there with same warning & suggestions.

Regards,

David

SDF15
Retired
Retired
5,851 1,562 351 391
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @DavidS62,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Did you check the Hard Drive to see if it is connected properly?  Have you tried re-seating the Hard Drive?  Looking forward to your reply.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
DavidS62
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi SDF15,

No problem!

I have had this Touchsmart for 5 years. It has never been opened.

I will check it out anyway. I also need to look at the sound card (the other issue) and clean the inside with canned air.

Regards,

David

DavidS62
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi SDF15,

I opened the 610, removed the hard drive, cleaned the everything with canned air, then reinstalled the hard drive.

No change. Same error BIOHD-3.

David

SDF15
Retired
Retired
5,851 1,562 351 391
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @DavidS62,

Thank you for the information!

If you are still getting the error, then the Hard Drive will likely need to be replaced.  You may consider contacting HP Phone Support for additional options.  Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!  Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

DavidS62
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi SDF15,

Sorry, been out of town for a few days.

Please clarify What you mean by "create a case for your issue"?

Also, can you help solve the audio issue? I am having no luck with it either. 

Regards,

David

SDF15
Retired
Retired
5,851 1,562 351 391
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @DavidS62,

Click on the link provided in my previous post, and follow the instructions.  If the Hard Drive is defective, then the audio issue may not be resolved, until the Hard Drive is replaced.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation