Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Currently I have the :

"HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC"

and cann't find any option in my BIOS to enable the Virtualization technology.....

any BIOS update ... or solution ?

current BIOS : J01 v02.06

ME Firmware Version : 7.1.3.1053

Please .... reply as fast as possible.... Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Tarek_Mamdouh wrote:

Currently I have the :

"HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC"

and cann't find any option in my BIOS to enable the Virtualization technology.....

any BIOS update ... or solution ?

current BIOS : J01 v02.06

ME Firmware Version : 7.1.3.1053

Please .... reply as fast as possible.... Thanks

If you do not see it as available in BIOS then the feature to enable it  is not there. I l perused the available BIOS updates and there are none that add that capability.This is something very commonly found in manufactured PCs. 

I looked into the BIOS simulator for this model and I also do not see it. That was for a pre-production BIOS.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

I found this thread when searching for how to enable virtualization technology on a HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC with J-1 v02.15 System BIOS. I was wondering if there is any way currently to enable this feature or does the response in the previous message still apply?

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

FYI: for anyone else who has this problem.....I was directed to this:edited which totally fixed my problem. Good luck everyone!

HP Recommended

you can fix it by:

How to enable VTx and VTd on the HP Compaq 8200 or similar PC?

To run Oracle VM Virtual Box / VMware machines on 64-bit host there is a need to enable Virtualization Technology (VTx) and Virtualization Technology Directed I/O (VTd).

Usually these setting are disabled on the level of BIOS.

To enable VTx and VTd you have to change corresponding settings in the BIOS.

Here is an example how to do it for HP Compaq 8200 or similar PC:

1. Start the machine.
2. Press F10 to enter BIOS.
3. Security-> System Security
4. Enable Virtualization Technology (VTx) and Virtualization Technology Directed I/O (VTd).
5. Save and restart the machine.

🙂
HP Recommended

Nice One- Works a treat

HP Recommended

It works with me thank you very much :generic:

HP Recommended

Is it really as simple as just enabling the Virtualization feature under Security in BIOS?

I have an HP 8300-CMT running Windows 7 and type 2 Hypervisor VMWare Workstation Player (with a few Virtual Machines on top.. .Windows XP and a few different Linux distributions).  My purpose is just for learning and for fun, helpful to have the knowledge as it relates to virtualization efforts in my "day job".

So, I'd really like to eliminate Windows 7 and install a type 1 Hypervisor (ESXi) instead of the type 2 VMWare Workstation Player, but I've read stories of users having difficulty installing all the correct drivers, etc., because VMWare does not specify the HP8300 as supported hardware.  I've also heard stories of users that got ESXi to install and work - sort of - only to have occasional instabilities, reportedly blamed on driver issues.

But, if ESXi can be made to work and be stable, I'm ready to get rid of my Windows.

Any thoughts or comments / experiences will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Fred

HP Recommended

If your CPU is not capable of virtualization then enabling virtualization technology just is not possible.

Use CPU-z to see which CPU is installed. Use the CPU's product name in a search for its specifications.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

My CPU and BIOS support virtualization.  My CPU is intel i7-3770 and my BIOS supports Virtualization Technology (VTx)  and Virtualization Technology Directed I/O (VTd).

My question is more related to trying to anticipate what sort of problems I may see when trying to find correct drivers for network cards, graphic cards, etc., before I spend a weekend making backups, reformatting my hard disk, installing a Type 1 Hypervisor and virtual machines, then reinstalling various applications, restoring data from backup, etc.

So... in summary, when VMWare does NOT list the HP8300 CMT with i7-3770 as "supported hardware", do I correctly interpret that to mean that VMWare does not provide a pre-packaged solution with all the drivers I'll need, but with due diligence finding my drivers, it should be possible to install a type 1 hypervisor (such as VMWare ESXi) on this hardware and operate it reliably?  Or.. are there other reasons NOT to pursue installation of a type 1 hypervisor, such as lack of a 2nd CPU socket on this particular hardware?

Regards,

Fred

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.