Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP has submitted a software update (SoftPaq SP44620) to HP Customer Care containing Microsoft's QFE KB976972 update to resolve USB issues on certain HP consumer desktop systems:

1) System is running Windows 7

2) System has an nVidia chipset

3) System has 4GB of RAM or more

The update has been submitted to and is in process to appear on the software and driver download page for the affected systems, however here is a direct link to download it now:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL31608/pv-78469-1/sp44620.exe

Customers who have already downloaded the QFE update from Microsoft's support site do not need to reapply it.

Here is the readme from the update:

Microsoft Host Controller Driver Update

Version: 6.1.7600.16445

Description: Microsoft Host Controller driver update resolves an issue with
the system not responding or behaving abnormally when a USB device is
connected.

Purpose: Critical

Category: Operating System - Enhancement and QFEs

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Language(s):
Global English

Enhancement/Fixes:
- Resolves an issue with the system not responding or behaving abnormally
when a USB device is connected.

Prerequisites:
- You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
- You must have a Microsoft Windows 7 operating system.
- You must have a system with an nVidia chipset.

Installation Instructions:
1. Click the Download Only button.
2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to
overwrite file.
5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then
click NEXT.
6. Follow on-screen instructions.
7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click
YES and allow system to restart.

Copyright © 2009 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

-DM (an HP employee, but the time, comments, and recommendations here are mine, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

That sounds awesome, I am traveling so I can't try it until three weeks from now!

Pavilion p6142p Windows 7 64x Home Premium
HP Recommended

Thanks also

Pavilion p6142p Windows 7 64x Home Premium
HP Recommended

Thanks for this update. I hope it relates to my problem, though I had not understood it be a USB driver issue.

HP Tech told me 4 weeks ago that I needed to re-order the W7  Upgrade kit and I assume that was in the belief that the first one had a glitch.  I was notified on Friday (18th) that the new disks have been shipped.  I think I will wait until they arrive and try to re-install.... maybe they already have this patch included.  Currently, I am back on Vista after the multiple failures of the upgrade.

Again, thanks for the location of this patch..I'll give it a try if the next set of upgrade installation disks fail.

Regards,

JackbMc

HP Recommended

The update is not part of the desktop Win7 update disc from MS or HP  - Microsoft has not yet integrated it into Win7, and it is not yet available on Windows Update (it is likely to hit there sometime in January).   It was available too late to get it out on HP Update before the holiday break.  I don't believe there have been any rolls to the Win7 upgrade disks.   I do recommend (while still on Vista) running HP Update and installing all applicable updates  - PRIOR to doing the Win7 upgrade.  Also - I'd double check the drivers page for your system for any Vista updates as well,  best to do any driver/BIOS/Video BIOS updates prior to the Win7 upgrade process.  I know that some of them were created before Windows 7 was out - and may not want to install if it sees the newer OS.

As to the fix - this could manifest itself in many ways - but essentially - this resolves system flakyness with USB devices attached .  Some internal devices (card readers, touchscreens, some Wireless LAN interfaces) connect via USB - so they could be affected, even if you haven't hooked up anything to your system externally.

Not sure just what problems you were experiencing, so can't say this was the cause (and will be the fix) - but if it applies to your system - I'd definitely give it a shot.    I checked a couple of systems that had this update - I see it now on the software drivers and update page for them, so it looks like it rolled out OK.

Happy Holidays...

-DM (an HP employee, but the time and comments here are my own, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
HP Recommended

DM

Thanks for this!  I have a 2 week old HP desktop with nevedia,  w7, 6 GB that was frequently (but not always) unable to transmit large batches of data from/to external drives. I spoke via HP support chat with the resulting recommendation to do a system recovery (groan...) and then got the same advice from HP phone support after 90 minutes of restores and setting changes (and many crashes).  I stumbled on this forum this morning, installed your fix and everything seems OK! Since you work for HP do you have any idea why the tech support people don't have this built into their diagnostic outlines?  It does not seem too complicated..nVidia+w7+ over 4GB.  I am sure HP has a BUNCH of these out there.

Anyway, thanks for your help. 

B

HP Recommended

B,

This update was submitted just hours prior to our shutdown for the holiday break - most of the publishing deadlines for field alerts were already past -this notice on the forum was a quick way of alerting the masses.   We intend to push this one out via HP Update as well, it was just too late/risky to get it out  on HP Update before the holidays.

I do talk with the groups that work on the troubleshooting trees - I'll see what can be done to verify that normal processes include checking for  / referring customers to the support and drivers pages on HP.COM for the applicable updates.

-dm (an HP employee, but the comments/suggestions are my own, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

HP Recommended

Why don't you just get the nVidia drivers from http://www.nvidia.com and get the drivers from there? 

All you need to know is what kind of video card that you have?

Most of the time nVidia keeps up with their video drivers than computer companies?

HP Recommended

This isn't about the video card (which isn't a card for built-in-graphics).  It's about the motherboard chipset.

HP Recommended

When I run the update, I get a Update did not complete successfully (529) message.

Please advise.  Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.