cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
login-123
Level 2
36 33 0 2
Message 1 of 35
Flag Post

Dual Boot - Separate Hard Drives - Win 7 & Win XP

HP Recommended

Hello. 
I have just purchased a pavilion P7-1235.  Nice computer.
- Motherboard name: MSI MS-7778
- HP/Compaq name: Jasmine
- Chipset: AMD A75 FCH
- BIOS:  Brand AMI, Version 7.07, Date 04/20/2012

I wish to install a second SATA HDD and dual boot win 7 from the original HDD and win XP pro from the new one.

I will probably use nLite, and a different computer to set up the nLite iso file.

I don't wish to use ms virtual PC, virtual box, XP mode, nor a separate partition on the same HD.

Are there drivers that will allow win xp to access the 1235's hardware from the win xp HDD?

Have read quite a bit here and elswhere, and cannot find a definite answer. 

Have not changed anything yet.

Thanks very much for any help you can give. 

Edit, nov 5 2012:  How to do this is in post 35 on page 4. 

34 REPLIES 34
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
134,937 124,293 20,675 31,761
Message 2 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't have any AMD based PC's with AHCI controllers, so I cannot help you directly with first hand knowledge. I have only done this with Intel based PC's.

I recommend you read this handy guide below for how to slipstream the drivers under the AMD section.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x000000...

Based on the chipset in your PC, you can download the AMD SATA AHCI drivers from the link  below (first download listed).

Use a free file extraction program like 7-Zip to extract the files you need. I believe they are in the Packages folder. 

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#4

Regarding hardware drivers, I think you are going to have a very tough time with the audio driver. I do not  believe one exists.

Paul

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 3 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you leave the primary hard drive plugged in when you install XP on the second hard drive then Windows XP will install the boot loader on the primary hard drive. You will then need to use a tool like EasyBCD to reinstall the Windows 7 boot loader.  This will then allow the Windows boot manager to show both Windows 7 and XP on the boot manger screen.  When you boot up, you will encounter a screen that will allow you to boot from XP or Windows.  The downside to this approach is that is the primary hard drive fails then you will not be able to boot up your PC.

If you unplug the primary hard drive while installing XP, then each hard drive will have it's own boot loader and each can be booted up independently. You will need to hit the ESC key when you boot up to select which hard drive that you which to boot up or the PC will default to the hard drive set as the primary boot device.  You might be forced to use this method if the motherboard and bios require EFI verses MBR. I don't believe that EasyBCD will support EFI or GPT formatted hard drives.  You may still run into issues if EFI is required for boot up and the primary hard drive has failed.

Be sure that you have a Windows 7 recovery or installation CD on hand before you do anything.   Backup your system in case something goes wrong.  Be sure that you make a set of the HP Recovery disks.

EasyBCD pay version is located here with the documentation.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
login-123
Author
Level 2
36 33 0 2
Message 4 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the quick replies.

Paul, I am much encouraged to see that you recommend those drivers. 

I have found a bewildering assortment of drivers, about 415 mb, and had no idea which to use. 

Those looked like the ones but I wasn't sure. 

Dave, if I understand your instructions, it should go like this:

1. unplug the primary HD, that is,  the original one with win 7 on it now

2. Plug in the new HD, with no OS on it, and install the slipstreamed win xp OS.

3. Restart and make sure win xp works.

4. Plug the original HD back in, and tap ESC to select which HD to boot. 

After that, just tap ESC at startup to select which HD to boot. 

Can it be that simple?  🙂

Will post back how it goes, might take a day or 2.

Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 5 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

login123,

You might need to go into the bios and make a boot priority change if the bios recognizes the second hard drive as an eligible boot device.  If the bios doesn't see the second hard drive as an eligible boot device then booting directly from a second hard drive might not be available with your particular PC.

I have an EFI based PC and I can boot from any hard drive but I don't know if your PC has that flexibility based on how HP has implemented EFI in your PC.  If your PC requires an EFI load via the HP Tools partition then your road to success might be severly hampered.

Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
login-123
Author
Level 2
36 33 0 2
Message 6 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK.  Thanks.  Will post back. 

Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 7 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi login123,

Go to Management on your PC and tell me what the partitions are on the boot drive (disk 0).

Then right mouse right on the on Disk 0 (left margin) select properties then click on the Volumes tab. What is the partition style?

Possible issues:

EFI boot with GPT formatted hard drive.  XP will not work on the boot hard drive.

The XP 64 bit (Itanium version) will only support a GPT formatted hard drive as a data drive.

You might be able to get XP installed on the second hard drive but the trick is to get the Windows boot manager on hard drive zero without having XP mangle it with a MBR.  This could be a tricky procedure.

If the bios can support legacy boot devices and also the recognizes the second hard drive as an eligible boot device then you might be able to get XP working.  Check the bios (F10 setup) under Storage --Boot order.  You might want to do this when the second hard drive is attached and see if the bios recognizes the second hard drive as an eligable boot device.

login-123
Author
Level 2
36 33 0 2
Message 8 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now don't worry about any advice you give here.  I regard this as an interesting experiment, and I hope it works, but if it doesn't, then I'll just wind up with some extra storage space on an extra SATA drive. 

I would never say a word of blame about someone trying to help as much as you guys are.  And if smoke boils out of this computer as we go through this, well, I have a bucket of water handy. 🙂  So, no pressure, no hurry, no worry.  

Quoting:  "the trick is to get the Windows boot manager on hard drive zero without having XP mangle it with a MBR...."

I don't understand that part.  Tell me if these statements are correct. 

If the original HD is unplugged when I install xp onto the new one, the original HD will be unchanged, is that right?

And if xp does put a MBR on the new HD, it won't matter until I select the new HD from the boot menu, is that right? 

The BIOS is on the motherboard and will not be changed by xp, so will offer the same choices of drive to boot from, before and after installing xp, is that right?

If all that is right, then the only remaining issue is finding drivers for xp which will work with the hardware, is that right?  

To answer your questions: 

The BIOS is American Megatrends ver. 2.14.1219, f10 shows it as JAS_707.rom v7.07

diskmgmt.msc shows this on disk 0, left to right:
1st:  100 mb, healthy, EFI system partition, no file system shown
2nd:  ~914 gb, OS C: ,  healthy, primary boot partition, NTFS file system
3rd:  ~17 gb, HP Recovery 😧 , healthy, HP recovery partition, primary partition, NTFS file system

Tapping ESC shows this boot menu:

UEFI Boot Sources
  Windows Boot Manager
Legacy Boot Sources
  ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
    SATA 2
  Hard DRive
    SATA 0
  Network Controller

When I connect the new drive to the SATA 1 socket, it shows up as:

- - -

Hard Drive
    SATA 0
    SATA 1 <------------
  Network Controller

Windows explorer detects the primary partition I created on the new hard drive.  No files in it yet, and it is not flagged as bootable.

login-123
Author
Level 2
36 33 0 2
Message 9 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the latest. 

Used nLite to slipstream those drivers to an ISO.  From http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#4 

Disconnected the original HD, connected the new one. 

Tapped ESC at startup, booted from the slipstreamed wxp iso on DVD drive.

The windows setup process, with the blue screen, started but stopped at this:

"The file AMD_SATA.sys could not be found.  Press any key to Continue." ... then

"Setup failed.  Press any key to restart"  Turned off the power. 

Disconnected the new HD, reconnected the original, boots up normally, so no harm done there.  

Now will try the nLite process again. 

Edit:  10:30 pm.  Not working yet.  Tried several iso configurations. 

Will do more later. 

login-123
Author
Level 2
36 33 0 2
Message 10 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not answer the question you asked.  Hard drive 0 is GPT formatted. 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation