Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy TouchSmart 20-d030xt
Other

Yesterday, after upgrading my computer to Windows 10 the Recovery Manger is now blocked. It wasn't that way before I upgraded. I have a feeling that the OS might have changed my security settings. (For example, when I try to change someting in my Pictures folder, UAC pops up) Does anyone know how I can get Win10 to unblock Recovery Manager?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok I found a fix. It was the certificate.

What you need to do is:

1. Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" in file explorer.

2. Right click on Rebecca.exe (Recovery Program) and click "copy".

3. Paste it on your desktop.

4. Unzip this download http://www.fluxbytes.com/software-releases/fileunsigner-v1-0/

5. Drag your copied version of Rebecca.exe onto FileUnsigner.exe

6. Right click on Rebecca.exe on the desktop and click "copy".

7. Paste it back into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" and say yes to replacing it with existing file.

8. Search "HP Recovery Manager", click on it and a prompt will come up, click "yes" and it should open. 🙂

You can repeat this for other programs that are blocked. It basically removes the outdated certificate that is preventing it to open in Windows 10.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

The same things has happened to me.

HP Recommended

Same here....I found after some searching that in Windows 10 you can revert back to previous sytem (Windows 7 in my case) withing 30 days if thats what you are trying to do.  I cant recall exact path but it was in the system backup/recovery area in Control Panel or you may be able to search on the MS site.

HP Recommended

Unfornately the same thing happened to me. There has to be a fix.

HP Recommended

Just did a bit of looking and found this...test.png

Could it be because the certificate has been revoked and Windows 10's tougher security protocols?

HP Recommended

That's what it looks like.

HP Recommended

Ok I found a fix. It was the certificate.

What you need to do is:

1. Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" in file explorer.

2. Right click on Rebecca.exe (Recovery Program) and click "copy".

3. Paste it on your desktop.

4. Unzip this download http://www.fluxbytes.com/software-releases/fileunsigner-v1-0/

5. Drag your copied version of Rebecca.exe onto FileUnsigner.exe

6. Right click on Rebecca.exe on the desktop and click "copy".

7. Paste it back into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" and say yes to replacing it with existing file.

8. Search "HP Recovery Manager", click on it and a prompt will come up, click "yes" and it should open. 🙂

You can repeat this for other programs that are blocked. It basically removes the outdated certificate that is preventing it to open in Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information. I got the program to work.

HP Recommended

Absolutely Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks....  Millions of other suggestions were useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  🙂

HP Recommended

Absolutely Brilliant!!!!!  Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.