cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Piccoo
Level 1
13 11 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Let's talk about the Z800's fan control/crossfire ability+graphics card power

HP Recommended
Z800 V3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

Newly registered member, only for this topic's sake.

I've got a HP Z800 from my workplace (thanks Anthony!) with a 30" HP screen, will mostly use it as everyday and gaming pc. I listen to music, watch movies, play some games(seasonal habit), do some work online(nothing which needs performance) so came to the guru's to ask for some intel about this machine!

Configuration:

Z800 V3

2x X5675 - stock heatsink

12x 4GB 10600R hp original

sapphire r9 280x (~250W TDP)

2x SSD

2x HDD

1110/1250W PSU (I reckon here in the UK i shall count with 1250W?)

Win7Prox64

Fan control:

When i took the machine home with a fresh install of windows, the fans seemed to be controlled automatically, now the first thing i did was put in an SSD and did a clean install of Win7Prox64. I only installed drivers for graphics and probably the ethernet pors and audio, but i cannot recall anything else. There are no unknown devices in device manager.

(1)Is there a program i can install which will controll fans automatically depending on load?(which seemed to be the case when i took it home)

(1.1)Can i have a link please?

(1.2)Is there any program known by the community which allows the user to control the fans manually or custom make profiles by any chance? This would be the best of bests!

Crossfire+GFX Pow:

According to what i've found on the internet, the workstaion is capable of crossfire, but actual experience i coudnt find anywhere 😞

My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600, this is the optimal resonlution for gaming in my case. The single 280X can't always handle the task, and having such old and "low" frequency CPU's, i reckon the best i'll get out of it is 280X CF, whics should last for 2 years, medium/high 60fps+.

I plan to keep the workstation for 2 years at least, so i would like ot know if the workstation is capable of running two R9 280X. I know i'll most likely will hit some CPU limit and might gonna need an external PSU to power the cards, but i love this thing and see no reason to change it. I'll rather install a full watercooling system. 

(2)These cards consume around 250W each, how many amps/watts are coming on one each 6 pin connector with the 1110W/1250W PSU?

(2.1)In theory, if the Z800 can power two Quadro 6000, (204W Power consumption according to Nvidia) it should also be able to power two 280X cards  each around 250W/300W peak. 

(2.2)1110W/1250W PSU Wiring Diagram with amps and everything.

Relevant Info i found on the internetz:

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.0 GHz

2x 280X CF

96W Idle

623W maximum

Thank you in advance for everyone who can help me with these, i know they might not your everyday upgrade questions, but it's important to me non the less.

7 REPLIES 7
Piccoo
Author
Level 1
13 11 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

up

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Piccoo
Author
Level 1
13 11 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

up!

Mr_Raven
Level 3
30 29 3 9
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The cooling of the z800 is, like with most workstations, hardware controlled (i.e. not by a piece of software like it's often done with consumer gear).  The machine has various sensors and uses the data to make sure the airflow is sufficient to prevent anything from overheating. Aside from the BIOS where you can set the cooling baseline (i.e. min fan speed) there are no tools I'm aware off that allow manual control (and quite frankly fiddling manually with the settings is a bad idea and only carries the risk of damaging your hardware).

The machine should run two R9 290X in Xfire just fine but since there are not enough PEG power connectors you'll need to supply some of the power from the SATA power connectors. Also, since these cards really produce excessive amounts of heats be prepared for the system to become quite noisy!

Also, just a word of warning: the PSUs on the z800 weren't exactly known for their reliability, even when under light load. Especially older revisions were pretty failure prone.

Shokre
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was really surprised to find out that HP does not ship any fan control utility with Z800 (I have 2 x X5675).

The problem with my system was that BIOS relies on CPU sensors which are located on the mainboard and in my case they were showing 20 C less than actual core temps (HWMonitor). This have resulted in a CPU fan rpm to be very low because system didn't know that core temps were actually around 80 C as motherbpard CPU sensors have indicacted 59C.

Luckily, there is a solution and it's called SpeedFan utility. It's not easy to set it up, but I can post my setup screenshots.

You can control both CPU fans and I think that the third one are memory fans.

However, I do not reccomend using it unless you don't know what you're doing.

Cheers...

Mr_Raven
Level 3
30 29 3 9
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What you're doing makes no sense whatsoever. And I'm not sure you really understand what's going on here.

For a start, the z800 does *NOT* use temperature sensor in the CPU, it uses other sensors (including one on the mainboard) to control thermals inside the machine. There are reasons why HP doesn't use the thermal diode in the CPU, but it works just fine.

I'm also not sure why you worry about CPU temperature. 80deg for a XEON X5675 is nothing, and well within safe operating margins.

The problem here is that you pretty much fiddle with parameters you don't understand. The CPU temp in the BIOS shows the temperature *at the sensor*, which is not necessarily the CPU core temperature. The z800 firmware (BIOS) is adapted to interpret these parameters correctly, and to control fans in a way to keep all components inside a safe operating envelope while at the same time minimizing noise. And it does that perfectly fine.

What you're doing is aertificially increasing the fan speed for pretty much no reason. BTW, you could have done the same without Speedfan or any software, as the z800 has a thermal setting in the BIOS that lets you set minimum fan speed manually. Just sayin...

The thing is that this is not a consumer PC, the z800 is a high end workstation that has been designed for excessive workloads. It will run perfectly fine and cool (though not necessarily silent) equipped with two of the fastest processors, 192GB RAM, three graphics cards and four power hungry SAS 15krpm hard drives at 1000% utilization, because it has been designed for that. And it's been proven many times over that the cooling works even under adverse circumstances.

Using some software tools to change fan speed isn't just useless, you also risk component damage as these tools mess up the internal thermal monitoring.

The best you can do is just let the workstation handle thermals itself.

Shokre
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not sure what you're talking  about.

Thermal settings in Z800 BIOS does not have anything to do with cpu fan rpm.

They just increase case in/out fans speed. Fan speed is controlled by CPU onboard temperature sensor.

Even at thermal set to 3, the workstation is louder than any comp we have in the room and tunning hotter than any.

In past 20 years I have build all machines by myself.

Currently I have i7 980X running around 50C under max load with just a small wind humm from fans.

I have build machines that last for a decade and non of them had any thermal issues, so I kind'a have ideas how system should be bult to run silent, reliable and for a very long time under heavy load (3ds max/Maya rendering).

Manufacturing of HP heatsinks looks horrible. It looks like garage bult piece of hardware and they cost more than any heatsink on the market. I am dissapointed, and you can say whatever you want it won't change my perception.

Cheers!

mrnemesisman
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there!

Can you please provide the settings you used with Speedfan and your HP Z800 Workstation? I am trying to do the same with mine!

Thanks!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation