cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
txpicnic
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Machine does not recognize memory

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion a1320n desktop with an RC410 motherboard. Machine came with 1GB RAM - product specs says max memory is 2GB.

Machine had 1GB stick in it, so I got a new 1GB stick from Crucial based on their advisor tool. The machine works with both sticks in either slot, but only allow me to use 1GB. When I look in the BIOS, it shows only 1 slot having memory if I had sticks in both slots.

Since the sticks were from diff. mfrs, I ordered 1 more 1GB stick from Crucial to ensure compatibility. The machine still behaves the same way. Each stick works in either slot, but when both are in place, the machine only picks up one.

I upgraded the BIOS to the latest one (went from AMI 3.07 to 3.24) as well - still no change in behavior.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,

Sam

8 REPLIES 8
1badGuard
Level 8
2,491 2,488 134 244
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install option 1. The Catalyst Driver. In Additional downloads also install the SouthBridge Driver. This is all part of the Chipset. It should help.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/integrated_mce-xp.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.5.3....

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
txpicnic
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Daniel:

Thanks for your quick response. I am very hesitant to go messing with the display driver, since it is not clear to me why a system that should support 2GB max per the specs does not really do so. When I use PC Doctor, it show the max supported memory as 1GB instead of as 2GB. Any idea where it gets that information from?

Sam

1badGuard
Level 8
2,491 2,488 134 244
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The Catalyst also contains parts of the chipset drivers. If you don't want to mess with that you can install the SouthBridge driver.
kicknback
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know this thread is now a year old, but it was the only result of my search!  I am having the exact same problem as the original post from txpicnic, with the BIOS only showing 1GB of RAM installed.  I can switch around either DIMM (original or Kingston), and get a full recognition of only 1 DIMM.  Either DIMM, either slot. 

I followed the link provided by 1badGuard to do the Catalyst and driver installation and completed these installations.  However, after rebooting I get the same result.  BIOS shows 1GB installed, and Windows XP SP3 shows 1GB.  Either DIMM, same result!  Is there a known issue with this system?  Its my wife's PC and she will make me crazy if I don't get this resolved!  (For those guys who are technical and their wives are not, you know what I mean!).

Thanks!
Ron

Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try clearing the CMOS: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00590356

If that doesn't work then download  CPU-Z (it's free) and compare the memory tab information of the old memory to that of the new memory.  Only install one memory dimm when you run CPU-Z then remove it and then install the other dimm.

Do you see any differences between the old memory dimm and the new memory dimm?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
jimtym
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Ron (or ANYONE!)

First, I am technical my wife not.  Amen brother...

Anyway, I am having the EXACT same situation here.  Did you ever get this resolved?

JIM

billsktt
Level 1
3 2 1 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Almost the same problem.  I have a Presario 6025RSH. I had already upgraded from 512mb to 2gig  3years ago  (I think my machine/software said I could go to 3gig)  and its been running fine. Hardware and software recognized and used the increased memory.   Wednesday 3/17/2010 I upgraded the bios from 2.13 to 3.06   (which I downloaded from this site)and now the machine at power up won't recognize memory above 512mb. I had to buy a new 512mb card so the machine would start up.   Is this bios problem or Windows update problem?    (a few months ago I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro.     If its the bios how do I undo the upgrade?

Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sometimes you need to have matched memory dimms. It's one of the reasons why memory manufacturers sell them in pairs.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation