Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPE-555sc
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey guys I just got my 960 gtx and installed on my PC, it shows a white light on the gpu, so it means it gets power, if it doesn't get as much as it needs it will glow red. The problem is on boot, it freezes on HP bios logo and 10s later it beeps 3 times, I have tried to solve the problem but nothing gives, took the battery off and put it back, switching ram slots, booting many times but no. but my 660 gtx boots fine and no problems, I have the latest drivers 344.75 that supports 960 gtx. The Problem must be in bios or in the motherboard, I have the latest bios that I can find on HP's site 7.15. I found out that windows 8 had a driver for my computer "Nvidia Unified - graphics card" should I try to install windows 8.1 and install that driver?

I have taken the graphics card many times out of the PCI-E slot and inserted back that it locks, doesn't help.

more info: I have taken out each ram out, one at a time and tried to boot, didn't work.

I have tried this new graphics card in my friends PC and it booted instantly and no beeps.

Processor: i7-2600 3.4ghz

RAM: 8gb

graphics card: MSI Twin frozr 3 660 gtx

SSD: Samsung 830 pro 128gb

motherboard: Pegatron H67 version 1.04, model 2AB6.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

NVIDIA 7xx graphics cards have a speckled history with HP PCs using a version 7 BIOS.  Sometimes they work depending on the motherboard. Actually, the GTX 660 is better than the GTX 960 on at least two different measures.

It's not a driver problem based on your description of the issue since Windows hasn't even begun to load.

The reality is that there is no a guarantee that any particular graphics card will work in any particular PC even if the graphics card works in other PCs or even the same or similar model PCs. Know what the return policy is before you buy.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Couldn't HP just updated the bios for my computer or something, is it really that big of a deal to make it work? I guess if I can't get the graphics card to work, I just have to sell my computer to somebody and build a new one with the new graphics card, should the new motherboard ASrock H97 performance have support for the 960 gtx or what if it will beep too like in this motherboard? It would be quite hilarious.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would love to see HP update the BIOS to version 8 for all of its PCs less than three years old but it not going to happen for models over one year old that don't already the version 8 BIOS.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I was thinking of getting this exact card, but since you have this issue it kind of worries me a little. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it as you said your PC starts up starting off.  Have you tried going into bios and shutting off safty boot and turning on Legacy Boot? I had to do that for my R7 260X to get it to work as well as my cusin who put in his graphics card.  No offence but i'm hoping it's just a faulty card so you can exchange it and get a new one that will work, giving me hope it will work lol. Good luck on your troubles. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.