Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I Have an HP Pavilion p7-1154 and am having some issues with that updating the BIOS may help. Before I do this, I would like to know if there is any way that I could do this with a boot USB thumb drive with the BIOS file on it. The reason I ask is that on or about 6/23/12 I tried it the way HP suggests and I ended up having to get a new motherboard under HP warranty. HP case #[Personal Information Removed]. The motherboard was replaced on 8/1/12 by an HP qualified service man.

I have read many message boards where several other people have had the same experience. I do not want to have to replace another MB since my computer is out of warranty. Or would it still be under warranty because of the new replaced motherboard on 8/1/12?

HP Pavilion p7-1154

Product # QP773AA#ABA

Serial #[Personal Information Removed]

HP motherboard AAHD3-HB (Hibiscus) made by Pegatron - the stock motherboard.

16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram

Silverstone 500W 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU

AMD A8 3870k processor - 3.00 Gigs - not overclocked

Radeon 6770 1GB ddr5 GPU - I could not employ AMD Dual Graphics on this MB, so I added this GPU

2 - Crucial M4 256 GB SSD's in Stripe (RAID 0)

1 - WD VelociRaptor 600GB 10,000 RPM HDD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS

Windows Experience Index = 7.2 - Based on lowest sub score

Processor                 7.2

Memory (RAM)         7.4

Graphics                    7.4

Gaming Graphics     7.4

Primary Hard Disk     7.9

Thank You,

Michael[Personal Information Removed]

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi JourneymanMike,

What issues are you facing that you feel a BIOS update would cure?

The BIOS update that is available lists only one fix and not multiple enhancements. BIOS ROM files are not always the answer.

Unless there is a compelling reason to update BIOS do not do it. If you do update, then the risk is yours.

Your PC was not delivered with the UEFI environment which would allow you to rollback to a previous BIOS in case of a failed update.

BIOS_Update.jpg

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It is the advice given my by HP Support Assistant to update my drivers and especially the BIOS to solve issues with Sllep Mode problems. The computer crshes and restarts itself when coming out of Sleep Mode.

This is the advice from HP Support Assistant:

Many issues with sleep mode can be solved by installing the latest BIOS and drivers for your computer.

Click here to open HP Update.

Install any updates found by HP Update.

Click here to go to the Software and Drivers page for your computer model.

Click the name of the operating system on your computer.

Install any updates for your computer, especially items under BIOS, Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices, Driver - Graphics, and Driver - Audio.

I've already updated the device drivers the latest ones with no luck. I've a system recavery with no luck. I've changed several different setting from the OS and the Command Prompt, as suggested on different message boards and Microsoft recommended solutions, including a full HD reinstall to factory condition!

Nothing seems to work.

The last thing I have to do is try updsting the BIOS. So is there a way to do this WITHOUT using the OS like HP wants me to do? I used to do my own builds 10 - 20 years ago and never had a problem with a flash BIOS.

Apparently I'll have to take the risk!

Thank You

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

HP has never made public how to do a bios recovery.  On some PCs it quite simple as having raw bios file on a USB flash, setting up the appropriate mobo jumper and then tapping the appropriate function key after powering on the PC. HP might have a similar procedure but I have never seen such.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I have reached the same point and would like to avoid buying a new Motherboard when the issue was obviously caused by the BIOS update. If HP won't publicise the method to fix the problem, where do I find an expert to apply the solution if my machine is out of warranty?

HP Recommended

I have experienced the same issue that Mike has expressed. I tried updating the BIOS recently to solve the issue of my PC coming out of Sleep Mode on its own, and now my PC will not boot and I need to get a new motherboard.

This problem has been shared with a number of other people and leaves me wondering why is this BIOS update is still on HP's site and without a warning that it might destroy your motherboard.

HP Recommended

I have tha same issue with my computer it affected me two days ago!!!

As because HP has responsibility for it. Is HP going to replace our MotherBoards?

What is the process to start a formal reclaim (with HP or any Agency for it)? (our PCs are out of warrantee)

Regards

HP Recommended

@Amilcar_Barbosa,

I have raised this post to the appropriate team for review.  Someone should contact you via private message in these forums.  Private messages can be checked by signing in and clicking on the envelope icon at the top of the page.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Because you computer is out of warranty, HP may not replace the board. I started this thread and have never foud out if updating the BIOS through the Operationg System has ever worked for anyone. All I have seen are posts about failures resulting in Motherboard replacement.

You would think that HP could come out with a Flash BIOS like normal motherboard makers do, instead of letting people ruin their motherboard every time they follow the HP directions for the BIOS update. Maybe because you followed HP directions, and the fact that this seems to be a common problem (which I feel HP could solve if they really wanted to) they may make an exception in your case. All you can do is try! 

Here is the HP 24/7 support number - 800-HP invent or 800-474-6836 or you can go through the email support startinmg here - http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-005&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=top&h_client=test - just select the correct options for your computer. These sevices may cost you depending on what HP decides. I would go with the email first, then, if that does not work, give the service number a call!

Best of Luck

Mike

HP Recommended

Private messages ,,,,,,Public fix would be nice its almost 2016 and i now i have the same issue with the very same pc and very same bio update. Customer Service free of charge, or post of fix would be the moral thing to do

best regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.